[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Fix remaining balance issue: Naval Units
Forum Index » New Feature Request
Hachiman

Hachiman

There are some exceptions, but mostly it seems

Hydronaught beats Dreadnought beats Leviathan for cost

The Hydro's extra range is overall better than its short range vulnerability, and the Leviathan is just flat out underpowered for cost vs the Dread. And Air units mostly don't help.

Best solution would be adding another naval unit with different interrelated strengths for each race (in a paid for expansion?) to make the balance more strategic.

Second (more likely) option would be to buff the Leviathan vs the Dread, and the Dread vs the Hydro...

At the moment I don't bother with most naval maps for this reason. It is a pity.

Any thoughts?
[Avatar]
kralux

[Avatar]
kralux

We are going to add more naval units for UW II for sure... it will be a blast with submarines, ... stay tuned...
[Avatar]
kralux

[Avatar]
kralux

Hachiman wrote: There are some exceptions, but mostly it seems

Hydronaught beats Dreadnought beats Leviathan for cost

The Hydro's extra range is overall better than its short range vulnerability, and the Leviathan is just flat out underpowered for cost vs the Dread. And Air units mostly don't help.

Best solution would be adding another naval unit with different interrelated strengths for each race (in a paid for expansion?) to make the balance more strategic.

Second (more likely) option would be to buff the Leviathan vs the Dread, and the Dread vs the Hydro...

At the moment I don't bother with most naval maps for this reason. It is a pity.

Any thoughts?

This is actually coming in UW 2 where we will see at least two more naval units per race. It will be pretty awesome. We will have submarines, aircraft carriers, amphibians, underwater mines, ...
The naval maps on UW 1 are not the most balanced ones admittedly. However, the destroyers do not always lose against the hydronauts (only if the game lasts longer).
Note that the Leviathan is a lot cheaper than the Destroyer and Hydronaut but you are right that we should look at further balancing all three ships...
Sounds like we are due for a unit balancing push.
What do you guys think about these changes:
Hydronaut: reduce AQUATIC ATK to 13 (from 14)
Leviathan: increase AQUATIC DEF to 11 (from 10)
stormtruppa

stormtruppa

that could work for a small change to not swing the balance too far the other way.
Hachiman

Hachiman

Yeah I definately think a little tweak like that is the best way to go. Better to under shoot than over do it.

I understand that what I said is not always the case btw, but I think it is a good general rule of thumb.

The new units for UW2 sound awesome by the way!

Forum Index » New Feature Request