[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Sporadic and rare push notifications
Forum Index » Technical Support Questions
Ayjona

Ayjona

After the first few humiliating losses, and a two month UniWar hiatus, I've finally decided to play regularily, in spite of my shameful skill rating

However, I find that push notifications rarely work for me. They appear sometimes, but very rarely, and I can't really reproduce the circumstances under which they do appear. In general, only one turn out of 10 seems to be pushed to my iPhone.

I'm running UniWar on an iPhone 3GS, with iPhone OS 3.1.2 installed. I am running the latest version of UniWar, and I've enabled both push in general, and UniWar push in particular, in the iPhone Settings.

Well, thanks for a brilliant game regardless!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 16, 2009 05:40

commentor

commentor

i haven't noticed a problem with push. badges appear for the most part. is your iphone jailbroken by any chance?
Ayjona

Ayjona

commentor wrote: i haven't noticed a problem with push. badges appear for the most part. is your iphone jailbroken by any chance?

This problem occurs regardless of whether I'm jailbroken, or not. I figured that might be the case, but I am push-less even when non-broken.

A friend of mine, jailbroken to the point of being completely broken, receives his UniWar pushes regularly and promptly, so being jailbroken does not seem to affect push notifications.

Devs, any word on this?
rolando

rolando

Odd, but we will look into it and see if we can figure this out.

Do you log out normally or exit via the Home key? Could you try logging out from the Main Lobby and then exiting the application a few times? See if that works. It could help us pinpoint the problem.
Ayjona

Ayjona

rolando wrote: Odd, but we will look into it and see if we can figure this out.

Do you log out normally or exit via the Home key? Could you try logging out from the Main Lobby and then exiting the application a few times? See if that works. It could help us pinpoint the problem.

Normally, I use the Home key to exit directly from within the games, after making my turns. Though occasionally, I use the log out function.

I've logged out, and exited the application a couple of times. Here's to the hope of successful pinpointing

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 19, 2009 18:00

commentor

commentor

the reason i asked if your phone was jailbroken is because hacktivated iphones (iphones that weren't activated initially with a working AT&T SIM) have issues with push because of invalid certificates which generate invalid push tokens on apple's push servers. the only solution around this problem at the moment is to purchase a unique certificate.

if your phone isn't hacktivated, or you just want to test out your push notifications, i would purchase ipush test ($0.99) and run it at various points during the day. if you get notifications through ipush within a few seconds, then push is working and it may be a uniwar specific issue. if ipush test doesn't work, then it may be a problem with your cell data provider, your phone, etc. i assume you are subscribed to a cell data plan (3G or EDGE). if you are wifi only, then push may not work reliably since wifi shuts off after 30-60 seconds when you put your phone to sleep and your phone isn't plugged in to a power source.
Forum Index » Technical Support Questions