[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
New Race!
Forum Index » New Feature Request
[Avatar]
kahnibus

[Avatar]
kahnibus

Why not make it an even four races to choice from? A few possible choices:

-- Crab people
-- Elemental (Earth, Wind,Fire, Water)
-- Spartan

-- Music never dies only the people who listen to it do.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon
commentor

commentor

let's throw in a fourth object for the rock, paper, scissors game also.

sardonic comment aside, a fourth race would really throw things off balance.
Derka

Derka

Not necessarily. It could actually add more depth to the game.
Destructor49

Destructor49

no I'm going to have to say that this is not a great idea no offense. The balance between races is already tricky as it is, and throwing a new race in just for the sake of it would really throw it off.
Titans: Powerful but expensive
Sapiens: Sorta powerful, moderate price
Khraleans: weaker, Really cheap

Where would a new race fit in? If you wanted to add more races, you would really need too add two to keep the balance (one on each end of the spectrum), and that would be awful because there would be way to much diversity and if you were caught with say sapiens against a race 10 times more powerful than you it wouldn't be very fair.
Players would just go for the cheaper race and swarm everything, or the most expensive and have one unit kill all. sooo, as for a new race, no.
savior59

savior59

well instead of adding one race they could add two more for balance. Balance might be better if two races are added, going like this:

Titans: slow and pricy, but powerful
Unknown: Moderatly pricy, kinda powerful
Sapiends: Moderate all around
Unknown:Moderatly cheap, somewhat weak
Khraleans: cheap and weak
Revan_3

Revan_3

My brother and I thought that a race of electricity based units would be cool.
They would be able to capture Titans, Sapiens, and Kraleans, but is also able to be captured and affected by all the teams.
For example, it would be able to eliminate Titans through a surge of power, or take control of Sapien and Kralean units.
It would also be subject to trapping by the three teams, and able to quickly be used against the team, as they cannot easily defend against themselves.
If you were wondering, the Electric race would be quite expensive.
[Avatar]
lantry

[Avatar]
lantry

Has anyone here played Age of Mythology (from the Age of Empires franchise)? This sounds offtopic, but bear with me. In the original AoM, there were three races: Egyptian, Norse, and Greek. Egyptians had strong myth units, norse had strong heroes, greek had strong footsoldiers. You could compare the egyptians to the khralies, the norse to the titans, and the greeks to the sapiens. The game was wonderfully balanced, the best in the franchise IMO. Then, the expansion set came out. here are the two biggest additions, see if they look familiar: a new race (atlanteans) and a "nuke unit" (titan).

The atlanteans, while adding a new way to play the game, were also rather overpowered and generally wrecked havoc on the balance. They were medium with each of the big three (myth units, heroes, soldiers) which, when played well, completely owned anything the other player could throw at you because you always had a response to it.

the titans, being the true "nuke unit", cost tons of resources, time, etc. to build, but once built, completely wrecked everything else. This encouraged turtling of the worse kind, where players would make the best defense they could and then hunker down while they built the nuke, which led to some pretty unexciting gameplay. This isn't the kind of gameplay Uniwar should go for; the games are long enough without each player playing titans for def so they can build a nuke.

If you haven't played AoM before or didn't read my post, here is the gist of what I just said: NO.
Revan_3

Revan_3

I fully agree with what you said, as it was a convincing arguement. However it isn't a single unit that I'm asking for, it is a RACE. And I'm not saying make them strong enough to dominate everything; only strongh enough to actually stand a chance with an offensive stance.
I agree that a unit that once built can only be hurt by another one would be completely stupid and unfair. All I thought they could do was, potentially, add a new race which is more offensively capable than the (Uniwar) titans, yet has less defence than a kralean.
Also, for stability purposes it would probably still only be for Unranked fights.

BadTurtle

BadTurtle

A new race would be nice, but how about changing elements. This must be a really nice, sunny all the time, 75 Deg resort planet.

No wonder the three races want it so bad!

What about a race of super intelligent kalimari people that can use mind control and sonic weapons. They could force the enemy to fight each other and use ink clouds to obscure their movments.
joshua05

joshua05

I think Lantry has a very strong argument..... If they are to add a new race it has to be with great care and thought.
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

"let's throw in a fourth object for the rock, paper, scissors game also."

You know folks actually *have* added two new objects to rock, paper, scissors

so the goal would be to add two races. But quite a design challenge.

For the record, Titans are Rock. Making Sapiens Scissors (S alliteration if nothing else) and Khraleans Paper, like their flimsy wings.

cheers
Forum Index » New Feature Request