[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Crazy what happened here?
Forum Index » General Discussion
What Happened here?
Random attack bonus. 10% [ 1 ]
Somethings not right here! 90% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 10
litechobutup

litechobutup

I am yellow playing in a butterfly game against moerderin. I have a 10 marine capturing the top mid base (as demonstrated in the photos) moerderin uses an 8 bird to attack my capturing 10 marine and KILLS HIM!!! How is this possible? No other hits took place on the marine.
 Filename photo.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description This is the action photo of my marine capturing base
 Filesize 102 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  0 time(s)

Filename photo(2).jpg [Disk] Download
 Description This is the after shot when the 8 bird kills the 10 marine.
 Filesize 100 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  0 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 28, 2010 16:53

[Avatar]
fleabite

[Avatar]
fleabite

Someone has hacked the game and now can seemingly kill at will. Look through some of the other recent topics.
cheese

cheese

Yeah, that's not right. I don't have any idea how....but that dude is cheating! I've seen some other crazy things too but not as bad as this one...
moerderin

moerderin

Yes, I did hack the game. I'm considering going public with it to put pressure on the developers to fix the hack. It's pretty easy to do, but does require a jailbroken iphone.

At the same time though, I don't want to ruin the game for everyone else.

What do you guys think, should I go public with the hack, or keep it a secret? (fyi, if I get banned, I will go public)

btw, whitecat, another reported cheater is my little brother who I taught the hack to.

anyways, vote here, if you want me to go public or keep it a secret.
alex94040

alex94040

In another recent game, this same guy - moerderin - has done TWO crazy stunts in one turn:

1) Swarmer 10 killed Swarmer 7 in one shot
9) Popping 9 ant, in forest, killed a capturing 10 ant

Both of these NEVER happen in my experience. I'm rated 2000+. Litechobutup was also in that game as my ally and saw this.
alex94040

alex94040

Well, it takes guts to admit cheating, so kudos to you, moerderin, for doing that.

Here's my take on what you might want to do: find a private way to communicate with Uniwar developers. Get their email address. Send them a private email and suggest that you found a way how to hack the game. Explain your findings in full detail. Tell them that they have 2 weeks to fix the issue before you go public with it.

This will accomplish two things:
1) Not ruin the game for anyone else in the meantime
2) Light the fire under the developers' butts to get this fixed quickly.

In the meantime, please do act honorably and don't hack the game again. I think the community will be willing to accept you back if you start from scratch, create a brand new account, and never cheat again. It's just so unpleasant to be thinking about these complex strategies to only be destroyed through a cheat..
moerderin

moerderin

Sounds like a plan. I'll take you up on your advice.

edit: btw, it's not cheating, it's hacking... =)

cheating is a 5-year old typing iddqd in doom
hacking is modifying game files, sniffing out web traffic, etc.

I know a small diff, but as a hacker, it's an important one =)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 05, 2010 10:28

alex94040

alex94040

Agreed that you indeed were hacking, not cheating. You immediately admitted to using an unfair advantage. You never tried to secretly fly under the radar, or anything like that.

By the way, it must indeed have taken a very serious amount of work to hack the game. Security companies like Symantec are always on the lookout for talented hackers, you would definitely get a kick out of working there. Trying to outsmart the smart hacker folks is what they do, it's a whole different level of the game
jawnv6

jawnv6

alex94040 wrote:By the way, it must indeed have taken a very serious amount of work to hack the game.
Not really, if he's doing it how I think he is. I've been poking at it the past couple days on a whim, and I think I'm close.
dingo

dingo

Hmm, go figure. I knew something was fishy lately.

/sigh @ bees doing 7 damage to my infantry in the mountains.
scam1bag

scam1bag

This guy is still on here cheating (it is cheating by the way, 100% cheating). He doesnt announce he is cheating, he just takese out your 10Pinzer with a swarmer in one shot. So Moerderin, what happened?
moerderin

moerderin

behave yourself or i'll make the account: scam2bag and hack and ruin your name... =)
Xaranth

Xaranth

in my current game whitcat killed with a 1 swarmer a 3 capturing marine. after offending us in chat i ask me now why this "players" can do what they want and no one of the uniwarteam is interested in it?
best app? lol
The Dogalyst

The Dogalyst

moederin and whitecat have acted like total jackasses and are trying to justify it as "for the greater good". Bull-fucking-shit.

The fact that the Uniwar team needs to be pushed by something dramatic to force them to give this issue priority, or even to admit there is a problem (see my emails to them which I'll post next), does not excuse moederin and whitecat's wasting a lot of players very valuable time, who go into games with a good faith belief that their time trying to actually win isn't for naught. There are alternatives that don't involve totally jacking over other innocent players like this. For example, if these two guys said up front, "Everyone, I'm going to cheat, because this is the only way to get the Uniwar team to acknowledge the problem and fix it", then we other players could all send lots of complaints to support@uniwar.com or post to this forum, without having wasted our time, without having to be punished, without having to be deceived.

The fact that they don't honestly give a fuck about anyone but themselves is clear in their snarky responses to people's anger. The fact that they've been using this cheat for a long time in subtle and thus hard-to-detect ways puts the lie to their claim that they cheated for honest reasons.
The Dogalyst

The Dogalyst

My emails to Uniwar on this matter, in order:

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Dogalyst wrote:
Hey guys. A hack-based cheat is in progress, and I have stopped the game in case your playback capability is limited to the last round.

The game is "OCTAL 1800up". A 1-hp swarmer destroyed a 3-hp marine caping a base. I am 99% certain this is not possible, and verfied with a number of tests before emailing you.

The player in question has apparently been caught doing this before.

Can you please check it out before my turn ends (6pm PST Tue) and respond? Thanks.

dogalyst

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010, at 5:00 PM, Dogalyst wrote:
Could I please get a response.  I just saw the posts by moerderin on the forums.   I know you'd rather this not get publicized, but if you can't fix this pronto you need to make a public announcement.  Transparency is important if you want to keep your loyal player base.  

If you need help finding solutions let me know, though I'm pretty sure you already know what to do.

dogalyst

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Dogalyst wrote:
Please forward this email to Kralux.

I guess you're dealing with lots of emails so haven't gotten to mine (below) and won't even get to this one. Or perhaps you guys are under a lot of pressure and infighting is becoming a problem and things are falling apart. Whatever the reason, legit or not, Uniwar isn't worth it for me.

Some people play to win individual games, others play the climb the ladder game. I'm in the latter camp because there's a point where individual games become boring. Whichever game you play, when the integrity of the game is lost, all the time anyone put in is also lost. If you play individual games, that translates to 10s of minutes to hours. For ladder players, it translates to days of wasted time. That kind if thing causes frustration first, then grows to anger.

I've put in a lot of time into this game. As a designer, I've also put a lot of time documenting and analyzing Uniwar problems and have come up with solutions. They are mostly on a private wiki that I was going to get feedback on from other uniwar vets and then share with you guys. No I'm just thinking of tossing it. Sigh.

dogalyst

Forum Index » General Discussion