[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Self Destruct Unit?
Forum Index » New Feature Request
zerosum

zerosum

Have you considered allowing a unit to self-destruct?

Sometimes I've built a unit (usually Ground Heavy) that has served its purpose but is now "stuck" by terrain and I would like to free up that hex for another type of unit. To be clear, I'm not asking for any credit for the unit that self-destructs, just the ability to make it go away.
sherkaner

sherkaner

zerosum wrote: Have you considered allowing a unit to self-destruct?

Sometimes I've built a unit (usually Ground Heavy) that has served its purpose but is now "stuck" by terrain and I would like to free up that hex for another type of unit. To be clear, I'm not asking for any credit for the unit that self-destructs, just the ability to make it go away.

That's not a bad idea. I've also had a logjam sort of situation where I physically can't get to an enemy unit I want to attack and I'm unable to move a (weaker) unit out of the way -- sometimes I'd be willing to just sacrifice it to clear the path. A little bit of splash damage to enemy units might be nice.

I'm not sure how much this would affect strategy or balance however.
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

I also often have this problem, having a weak unit with 1-3 HP blocking a freshly built unit in front of an enemy unit.
What I do in these cases is that I charge with the weak unit at the enemy, assuming he has enough health, it will destroy your unit and sometimes make some extra damage to the enemy, and voila! One free hex coming right up!

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
[Avatar]
charnal

[Avatar]
charnal

Also, it would give you a flank bonus. Sometimes it is worth it just to make a unit as cannon fodder and use it for the flank bonus.

The most dangerous enemy is the one nobody fears
[Avatar]
kralux

[Avatar]
kralux

Very good idea for future updates!
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

yea i like this idea too.
because one time my pinzer was stuck because it was surrounded by mountains

When life gives you lemons...

"TAKE YOUR DAMN LEMONS BACK, LIFE. I DON'T WANT YOUR STINKIN' LEMONS."
Sphink

Sphink

I personaly do not like this idea. I use this to my advantage and leave units that are weak alone to block or on a base that is blocked with a heavy ground! Just as mentioned. I believe it is a strategy and should be used to your advantage... If you teleport a bunch of mechs surrounding a unit on a base and keep teleporting more mechs to replace the ones that die and when you wear it down enough to take it on your next turn... They just self destruct it and build another unit? There is a Titan strategy right down the drain... Ofcorse this is only my opinion.

Good luck, Have fun!

My biased opinions are open-minded.
-Sphink
zerosum

zerosum

You make a valid point. I think if the self-destruct was time delayed that would leave the strategy you mentioned intact. When a player sets a unit to self-destruct it would disable the unit and maybe mark it with a special symbol to show it is in self-destruct mode. Once confirmed, self-destruct could not be turned off and would take effect at the beginning of the player's next turn.
Forum Index » New Feature Request