[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
New player. Do people still play this?
Forum Index » General Discussion
7h30n

7h30n

Hello everyone!
I recently got Uniwar (as I was searching review sites for a good strategy game). So far I've played it with my friend on iPhone. I was wondering are there good (mannered) people still online?
Anyone willing to teach me the game and play with me? (I have trouble finding fair games)
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

Of course there is still an active community, you can be sure of that, but when you start off at 1500 points you often get idiots to play with. It should be getting better at 1650-1700.
But if you want further help you can always make friends with people on the chat in-game, just beware of the trolls and spammers since we get a lot of them recently...
Also as an FYI, a higher ranked player will rarely play with a newbie, so your best bet is to go on the chat and ask for an unrated games or simply ask technical questions on the forum or the chat yet again.

PS: Check sphink's guide for new players, it should be in general discussions and would no doubt help you!

Best of luck!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 09, 2010 11:08

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
Orion3T

Orion3T

Hi and welcome!

There's lots of pleople playing but I agree that you shouldn't expect to make friends too quickly when starting out. Lots of players around the 1400-1600 mark just stop playing, presumably decided this game's not for them.

Your best bet is to turn on Random games and just keep playing. Your rating will settle down to indicate your 'true' level (which itself should gradually improve) and by the time you get to 1700 or so you will probably have made friends with some reliable players through the random matches. If you have some good games then ask them to play team matches with you - you know you are about the same level and you will know you are both reliable as you completed several matches between you.

For this to happen of course you need to make attempts at chat occasionally even if it's 'gg - I think I went wrong when I did X what do you think?' and so on. Some will ignore you and others will chat back. Just remember to give them chance by not surrendering and deleting the game before they do!

I love FFA matches but they are such different playstyle I keep them on a seperate account only. It's very easy to play well and get beaten by 2 weak but aggressive players, or to win purely because someone else resigned or gave you an easy win. So FFA are great fun but not a good place to learn how to play well.

Just keep playing though, and you'll make friends. There's lots of good folks playing the game.
Orion3T

Orion3T

P.S. If you do want someone to give you some lessons (and I'm assuming you did the campaigns as that's the best place to start) feel free to invite me to 1v1 friendly or 2 on whatever maps you like. I'm rated somewhere between 2000-2300, so I'm decent, but far from pro.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 11, 2010 08:52

[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

2000-2300 is a pretty wide range man

Oh and yeah, I agree with playing the campaign first, as it teaches you the basics of gameplay, then you can hone your skills and develop your tactics on multiplayer, and have fun of course!

PS: Orion, there's an edit button

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
7h30n

7h30n

Thanks a lot for all the welcomes.

I'm currently playing against someone around 1300 rating (inbetween other matches), and I got him to talk
I noticed people don't mind the chat that much, but I always like to say hi, gl hf, and gg at the end. (I guess StarCraft really influenced me to do that)
Anyways as it goes I might get a 'friend' of similar skill level.

I'll try to find you and add you as friend also
Fortunato

Fortunato

gl hf! That's how I like to start all my games. Welcome, 7h30n. Glad to hear you're looking for friendly folks. Feel free to invite me to an unrated 1v1 game and I can show u some ropes. I'm around 2100 about now, so not bad. If 1v1 goes well we can always rock a 2v2 close range game
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

hey wassup 7h30n
cant wait to play u one day
u can invite me to a game; im around the 1775 skill level
gl! lol

When life gives you lemons...

"TAKE YOUR DAMN LEMONS BACK, LIFE. I DON'T WANT YOUR STINKIN' LEMONS."
Orion3T

Orion3T

2000-2300 is a pretty wide range man

Yeah - my 1v1 acct is about 2250 trending upwards and my team acct has stagnated somewhere between 2030-2100. I think it's partly due to general fluctuations and partly due to to different types of game.

If you play a lot of games then several bad games can produce quite a sudden change.

My ratings tend to go down if I make a few consecutive moves whilst drunk too.

And I know there's an edit button thanks. It was just easier to add a comment as it was a kinda seperate point I didn't want to lose among my ramblings.
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

Lol @ Orion

Also yeah, I had a few bad games and they took me back at 1960 from 2040
Oh well, it's not like I can't catch back up

Wandering...
Forum Index » General Discussion