[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
New tournament anytime soon?
Forum Index » Tournaments
[Avatar]
Nixflix

[Avatar]
Nixflix

...blue player= te person who goes first on the map...soemtimes there can be an advantage there
but the above would only be neccessary if it was the best 2/3

Sorry if i offended you
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

yea so you're not thinking single-elimination...
I was thinking single-elimination so the tournament would go much faster, as Sphink points out.

When life gives you lemons...

"TAKE YOUR DAMN LEMONS BACK, LIFE. I DON'T WANT YOUR STINKIN' LEMONS."
Sphink

Sphink

I would say best 2/3 as to eliminate a bad game from droping you out of the tourny but also think single elimination would be best for the first tournament or so to get a feel of how things flow. I'd say for best 2/3 you would have 2 maps per round. Now this is where it gets complicated (try to stick with me).

For 2/3 there should be a 2 map "map-set" we will say chato hill and desolate for an example.

For fight 1(chato hill) it should be up to the players to decide who goes as player 1, any dissagreement will put the higher ranked player as player 1.

For fight 2, the Loser of the previous fight has an option. option 1: They can either play the same map (chato hill) as the other color. Option 2: they can opt for the second map (desolate) and choose which color they would like to play as.

For fight 3, if there is I tie 1 of 2 things will happen depending on what the players chose on the prevoius fight.

If they chose option 1 then they will play on desolate and the winner of fight 2 will chose his color

for option 2 you will simply change colors and fight again.

Hope this makes since. I know it's a complicated structure but that's how I feel 2/3 should work. What do you guys think?

Good luck, Have fun!

My biased opinions are open-minded.
-Sphink
[Avatar]
Nixflix

[Avatar]
Nixflix

it makes since
we could do it that way
maybee we will
thanks

Sorry if i offended you
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

I dunno I liked the single elimination, at least for a first tournament since everyone should be new to this in uniwar, it'll also lengthen a whole lot the tourney, like it was said in previous posts.
nfong did you get any replies with kralux? I'm not sure you are obliged to get a approval, but I think it's a nice thing to let him know what's happening in his game especially if we're making the community revive!

I think that the map should be:
-or agreed upon by the two contestants (might get tedious)
-or a random choice
-or chosen by the Game master (and not "grandmaster" sphink ^^ )

For the time zones:
-I'd ask their timezones for both players and agree upon an optimal date
-Make unrated games for all to be welcomed and no time limit (although after a certain amount of time you would be disqualified of course)
-Make new accounts especially for the tourney?
-Try to have the game done under an hour (so that the contestants are constantly playing for a time and not doing anything else if they can avoid it.

I would then put single elimination matches
For the screenshots, I can teach how to do it for iPhone and iPod touch, but not for android, so we'll accept only iPod/iPhone players! (Ha just joking, we'll find a way, or just grab a camera if you're lazy (as long as we see the results it's fine))
Also both players have to give us the screenshots, to prevent cheating by modifying the screenshot or anything else. If the results are different, then we cancel the match and have a rematch. If another anomaly happens, both players are disqualified from the tournament (seems harsh... not sure about this one)

I also just had an idea. We can use Sphinks ideas for the fist matches, then use single elimination as we get towards the top of the tourney. You know, like in world cup? Also in that idea have some "groups" of players chosen upon by the Game Master or randomly.

Team game matches of not?

That's just my ideas being developed as I see other ideas, I'm in no way expecting you to obey me and am just trying to help.
And do we need more than one referee plus a Game Master? You guys tell me. I'd also like to be a referee or Game Master (depending on what you do) as I won't have time to play.

PS: Of course everyone is welcome! Well I hope nfong thinks that way... Btw why not post us a draft of your rules so that we can influence yo-*cough cough* er I mean help you out

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 27, 2010 05:46

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
[Avatar]
Paul5678

[Avatar]
Paul5678

I have some ideas:

1) The tournament should be run by someone who is not playing in it. That person will be available on the forum every day throughout the tournament to answer questions. That person will also be the referee, and will resolve any disputes that may arise.

2) We can have a forum thread for "tournament results". For posting results only, not for discussion of them. The winner of a game (or match, if we decide to use 2-out-of-3 matches) will post the results so the tournament organizer can randomly assign pairings for the next round.

3) We don't need screenshots unless there's a dispute. Let's build a culture of honesty rather than a culture of mistrust.

4) Time limits should be set to one day. That will allow everyone to play, even the busy people who only have time for one move per day. If the tournament takes a long time, so be it. No need to rush. Players should make a good faith effort to finish their games in a reasonable amount of time. Maybe we can have booby prizes for each pair of players who takes the longest in each round.

5) Speaking of prizes... we could make a UniWar Community Tournament trophy and send it to the winner.

Sphink

Sphink

I'm just gonna go ahead and say. I don't like the whole 1 day time limit. More specificly the one move a day part. I know I know "some of us have lives" I do to! But come on is 12h really asking too much? What is that? Checking/moving before you go to sleep/wake up, and once midday? That dosnt seem that bad of a compromise to me for something that someone wants to do but not commit fully to... And that is only 3 rounds a day! I got games from weeks back that Im still playing due to slow play on a 12h game... Idk and I'm rambling and am in a "weird" mood. None of this is directed at any specific player. It's just my opinion "right now" as to how I feel about the time limits... Harsh as it may be

Good luck, Have fun!

-Sphink
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

What the hell have you been smoking? xD

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

Hey guys,
I got kralux's approval for the tournament which is good.

here it is:

To: nfong
Date: 05/27/2010 14:06:39
Subject: Re:Tournament
nfong,

This is a great idea and I highly applaud it.

For the maps, I would suggest that players could agree on a map chosen from a set of a few maps that are the most balanced ones.
Alternatively, you could decide that for each round played, there is a given map.
E.g.: Round 1: DeadMonk, Round 2: Marshes, ... and that would be known ahead of time.

Cheers!

Kralux

I like kralux's idea about the maps. I think Sphink also mentioned something similar to this. Thoughts?

btw Paul, I will run it since I'm not going to take part in the tournament.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 27, 2010 16:14

Sphink

Sphink

I don't like how he said the players should pick from the most balanced maps but didn't specify which maps HE thought were most balanced... I figgured he would know if anyone did... But I don't know his role in the development.

@ Nicko: "no comment"

Good luck, Have fun!

-Sphink
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

hmmm
Well guys which do you think are the most balanced maps? If we are to do a 64 person tournament, we will need 6 different maps, one for each round.

lawhawk

lawhawk

My vote for the six would be:
1. Dead Monk
2. Marshes
3. Chato Hill
4. The Bog
5. Jungle
6. Forest Walk

No naval in there, not sure if it would be a priority to work that in. Maybe replace Marshes with Piriapolis.
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

I'd add:
-Piriapolis
-The great wall
-Starvation
-Laguna Niguel
-Wild plains
-Forest walk
-Harbor
-Gold rush
-Too close (not sure about this one though)
-A river runs
-Hurtgen forest
-and Montevideo

These are some maps I'm willing to vote for, I took those who are balanced and on which every race has a chance to stand and put up a good fight, if not win.
I absolutely DON'T want to see chato hills in there, but that's maybe just me... On 15 games with that map I must have won 2 or 3... Also the krhals have some advantage, grabbing that base faster...

Oh and sorry Sphink, but you did sound weird that night...

edit: Oh only 6 maps... well you can choose from those I guess. But nfong, I didn't really understand how's the tournament is going to be held, recommend you make a new topic with rules ASAP, even drafted ones (you can always edit/add/remove them later). And with that done I'd advertise on the chat, directing newcomers to the rules thread.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 28, 2010 11:35

Wandering...
[Avatar]
Nixflix

[Avatar]
Nixflix

i say most balance map is full planet(original)

Sorry if i offended you
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

Nix... This is only for team matches...

Wandering...
Forum Index » Tournaments