[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Unit Upgrades
Forum Index » New Feature Request
[Avatar]
Gargoyle

[Avatar]
Gargoyle

I originally posted this in the wrong forum below.

I'm thinking that, in addition to being able to purchase units at a base, existing units could be upgraded as well. Some possible upgrades could be:

• Helicopters: Missiles (would enable Helicopters to hit units two hexes away)

• Eclipse: Antigrav (would allow to pass through mountain terrain)

• Speeder: Invisibility (would cause speeder to be hidden from enemy; would need to drop to attack)

• What do others think of the idea? Does anyone have any other ideas for upgrades? Would this destroy game balance?
    [Avatar]
    lordertz

[Avatar]
    lordertz

Gargoyle wrote: Would this destroy game balance?

Certainly the upgrades that you mentioned would indeed destroy game balance.

Some less drastic possibilities would allow the heal unit in each race be able to take over the other races level 1 unit but this would have to cost roughly 1000 or something. I don't quite like the rock paper scissors of the heal units.
    searchlight

searchlight

I'd be satisfied with a more robust form of the Veteran mechanic. Make the upgrades easier to attain, and have more levels of them. Perhaps also an option to trade credits for level upgrades.
    Yeasayer

Yeasayer

searchlight wrote: I'd be satisfied with a more robust form of the Veteran mechanic.

This...

Other than the increase in health, there is no difference between a unit with two ranks and a new one. I think a stat increase for the unit in question would be reasonable enough, maybe just one (or two) point to all attack and defense stats (Unless the unit can't attack a certain way, like Aerial). I think something more along the lines of a bare-bones leveling system would be just as interesting, based off of credit worth as opposed to unit value, (Which is difficult to judge because I've seen Plasmas with two bars and Marines with none.) which would be much easier to measure unit progress.

I'm not to sure about actual upgrades though... since the balance issue could tip because of that.

gaarder

gaarder

Yeasayer wrote:
    Other than the increase in health, there is no difference between a unit with two ranks and a new one.

There's actually a 20% difference in stats between unit with 2 ranks and a new one. In case you are not sure, try attacking a 10 health marine with a 12 health marine. (do this over a few times to make sure the random machine normalizes all effects of chance)
    Forum Index » New Feature Request