[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
3 minutes turn game
Forum Index » General Discussion
asdf

asdf

Yup, I was being sarcastic.

Not targeted to you, but just in general, I find it amusing that people don't like it when they get skipped. There are turn time limits in many games. 24-sec shot clock in nba, down clock in nfl, etc. If you don't take your turn in the allotted time, you lose your turn plain and simple. You know the rules going into the game, so you have no cause whatsoever to cry about your turn being skipped when that's the rules.

For those people that still get upset about skipped turns, then just imagine if the devs took that out of the game. That would mean infinite turns. You never know when your opponent will take his turn. You have no idea how long a game will last or even if your opponent will bother continuing the game. That's why it's important to have the skip ability.

In my opinion, turn skipping should be automatic. You don't take your turn within your time limit, then you automatically get skipped. No need for your opponent to manually skip the turn. If you want to play an infinite turn game, then make an unrated game or lobby for the devs to make that an option.
Britannia

Britannia

Hey, uhhh, asdf, some of us have real lives..... I enjoy the occasional 3m game, and I do think that the option to skip someone's turn is vital to the rank system, but people abuse the 3m game by making one, waiting until the other person who joined it has gone offline, then starting it in order to skip through them and win..... While I am in no way suggesting that this is the intention of every player who creates a 3m game, there IS a group of people who start 3m games in order to do this.

The best suggestion I've heard to counter this would be to start a 3m game the moment the 2ND PLAYER joins. A second suggestion to work with this would be that 3m games are automatically "locked" (become unjoinable) the moment the game's creator goes offline. This balance of 3m games being unjoinable unless the creator is online paired with the game starting when the 2ND PLAYER joins would balance 3m games out and would allow those of us who have lives in the real world to not get screwed over every time something happens.

I realize, asdf, that you are going to hate this suggestion because you enjoy race screening and this suggestion would prevent that in 3m games (if you're not asdf and am wondering what I'm talking about, read some of the other forum posts asdf has made).

Anways, asdf, stop flaming other people's comments. We're trying to be constructive here. I realize you're probably some angsty 14-year-old who has learned a couple "naughty" words and enjoys using them without any repercussions (especially since you're supposedly not using your true username to post), but mommy and daddy are talking so don't interrupt. You're ideas are appreciated, but if you want to be treated like a grown-up, you need to act like one

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 22, 2010 21:13

asdf

asdf

lol. How do you not understand that starting a game when someone is offline and then skipping through their turns doesn't count? If the 2nd player never takes his turn, then the games ends on the 3rd skip which is round 3. Games only count when there are at least 4 rounds. So in your scenario, the game will not count and neither players rating nor win/loss record is affected.

You obviously just made up your point. Before you try to argue something, make sure your point is actually correct.
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

Well, of course skipping turns can be cheap and lame. Your posts don't indicate it but I'm sure you can appreciate some amount of subtlety of context. I played a 3 minute game once, had the advantage after some number of moves, had to help my kid with something, saw the timer go out just as I submitted my turn. I found I had already been skipped in the intervening 2 seconds. The guy was clearly watching it, looking for the advantage. Ergo, he's a weasel. Sure, it was "fair", but doesn't change the weasel-ness. You are free to admire the guy, I won't. Hard to escape the conclusion why his score was higher than his skill seemed to indicate. I quit the game and let him have his exciting points, I could care less, I value my time too much to waste it playing phone games with such.

My first 3 island game was a 24 hour game, had been going on for weeks, and I had an upcoming camping trip I promised the family. I gave many days notice that I'd be slow on the move, asking for grace. I came back and the move had been skipped, without comment. In this game, a single move can (often should) be decisive, so it's pretty lame to blow a multi-week game that way, IMO. In this case, the player who apparently did it wasn't strong, I was able to recover and I made a point of eliminating that guy first. Again, you're welcome to disagree and see great virtue in the turn skipping action. People have different value systems and different things they admire.

And yes, of course if someone just isn't showing up or is holding up the game, you have to skip and boot them. I'd like the game to show who did the skipping in a multi-player game though - if you think it was right, put your name to it.

</rant>
[Avatar]
Nixflix

[Avatar]
Nixflix

Please Note: player (a) Asdf(I just noticed that is on the keyboard straight from "a" to "f") may or may not twist your words and insult you.
By the way, cool name
(waxoid)

Sorry if i offended you
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

OK, sorry if I'm feeding the troll. Thanks.
[Avatar]
Nixflix

[Avatar]
Nixflix

It's fine.
We all are : |

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 29, 2010 04:52

Sorry if i offended you
asdf

asdf

lol. I don't twist anyone's words. How is following the rules being a weasel? Either take your turn or you deserve to lose it. That's the rules, and that's fair. Doesn't matter what your reason is for not taking your turn.
Britannia

Britannia

The "rules" in question are being discussed precisely because they do cause unfair advantages. Of course, life is out there and this is just a game, so it really doesn't matter, but the "rules" aren't the be all, end all authority. The "rules" aren't necessarily fair, clinging to the fact that they are currently the rules, asdf, doesn't mean anything.

Like I said earlier, implementing functions that 3m games only start when the second player joins and that 3m games can only be joined when the creator is online would level the playing field and would help minimize the risk involved from real life factors, as both players would be making a choice to set aside the time when they joined/created the game.

Maybe you should try to understand what it is your arguing, asdf. You're evidence behind your point is so narrow that it only scratches the surface of potential problems with 3m games. Before you go and say that skipping through someone's turns on a 3m game wouldn't affect rating or game count, consider the real life factor and how it can be kept to a minimum. You say that no one else understands, that you're the only one who gets it, but obviously this isn't the case. We're just looking at the bigger picture. Whenever you want to come out and join the actual discussion, feel free.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 30, 2010 16:48

DJ Marcus

DJ Marcus

Here's my take on it:

I think skipping in a long game (say with 24hr turns) isn't good. It is not "cheap" because that's the rules, but in general it isn't a good thing to do - at least give them 12 or 24 hours to come back. The 24-hour cycle means that each player really needs to make an effort to check in every day, but if you are going to be away, usually with the group of people I tend to play with/run in to, it is acceptable to just declare that you'll be gone for a day. Usually people don't skip.

For a 3-minute game, the high-pressure / quick response requirements is part of the game type itself IMHO. Often you can't fully think out your turn - you've got to move quick. I do not think it is "cheap" to skip in a 3 minute game, nor is it a way to get "cheap points"...since I've found that I'm just as likely to get skipped myself, just sitting there thinking about my move.

Anyway, that's my take. As far as the flaming back and forth...it seemed that it mildly started when the pro-3-minute-skip camp was implicitly called "cheap"(nfong), and then continued when someone in the pro-3-minute-skip camp said that anyone who can't pay attention and take your turns is a dumbass (asdf). Sphink picked it up from there, and it became more personal (even though asdf's next post was a much better and less flaming restatement of the viewpoint).

I don't really have a solution to the flaming issue - because in the end, both of those two initial posters (nfong and asdf) may very well believe that the other side is "cheap" or "dumbasses"....and those opinions are probably a valid part of a discussion of "is a 3-minute-skip cheap" when you think about it. Both are somewhat insulting, yet are true expressions of opinion.

Note that IMHO saying someone's playing style is "cheap" is an insult - not saying it can't be true...the truth can hurt...but still, its an insult...so one shouldn't be surprised that it ratchets up the flame level in a conversation.

Hopefully I won't be flamed for this.
MasonC

MasonC

A idea to make the 3 minute games better would be to look at chess.com they have live games were the player seeks when that player goes away the seek vanishes when a player accepts that seek and if while they play one of them log out that person will lose.
thethanx

thethanx

@waxoid and britannia
If you care to play a game I also go on camping trips and encounter similar situations. that's why I almost never play games less than 3 days... I wish more people posted games for the longer time limits. But if you want to play sometime you seem like decent folk I'm always looking for other mature adults that have real lives...

Oh the things I DIDN'T miss about the uniwar forum, don't feed the trolls

Anyway, I almost never play 3 minute games for that reason. I would NEVER join one unless the player was online, and I think they should go away if the player logs off.

For me I say the nice and friendly thing to do IN GAMES 12 HOURS OR LONGER is to give the person an extra day or so just in case something came up (losing internet, your mobile device etc.) after all this is just a game, and what's the fun in winning by taking the advantage of an extra turn?

Obviously in a 3 minute game people ARE expecting faster play so I guess if you get skipped for taking too long that might just be that people have stuff to do and can't wait all day for you to ponder your next move.

Forum Index » General Discussion