[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Beating Titans
Forum Index » Sapiens
Solitary

Solitary

Just a discussion thread really as I think titans seem to have a slight advantage over saps on average but I've been playing around with a few ideas which are giving me decent results.

1. Stay ahead on seige, you need to have at least two batteries out for every one walker.

2. Watch when they are saving up for a walker as building walker too early will end the game for them in most cases.

3. Maintain vision of all bases/map, titans vs saps it is critical to have the right units in place to counter what they build and also on the right hexagons. One slipup will lose you the game.

4. Don't be shy of building marines/marauders, they are pretty useless against most titan units but a big issue titans face is advancing without compromising the safety of their walkers and cheap units around the place is good for slowing the march (or for breaking up def). As it takes a tank two turns to kill a marine you can sometimes sneak captures in by using marines as a wall against the tanks and once you outproduce someone, you beat them.

5. Don't rush in unless you see a critical unit out of position. I recently have started going mass batteries against titans on closed maps and then storming with cheap units and the seige weapons as I have not found a way to rush titans if there is a choke point on the map. The titan player can't just sit there and let you make 5-6 batteries unchallenged as they will not have any space to mass units in and they can't use mecha as a shield (like you will use marines as a shield) because reprogram is fatal.

6. Use tanks and engineers sparingly. Yes they are great together and make a very tough wall but they are not mobile and a patient titan player will just slowly advance and squash you as you have no way of taking the initiative. Remember instead that battery is only 50 credits more than the titan tank and unless you're facing mass speeders will often be a superior choice.

7. Be patient. Almost everyone you play will make a mistake somewhere along the line and normally the mistake will be inaccuracy when advancing units and they will need to advance before you, as you will be aiming batteries at half the map.

8. These are general tips, make sure you adapt to what the titan is building as you really can't get away with batteries and marine/marauders against mass speeders but they can throw speeders all day at a couple of tanks and an engineer xD.
Solitary

Solitary

I'd like to add quickly that timing attack is very important as well because mass batteries can turn into a draw pretty quickly. My personal thoughts are that it's more of a flaw with the matchup though as sapiens don't really have the mobility to advance on titans once the titan is developed and they don't have the power to pressure titans early in the game either on maps with a choke point. Maybe the end part of the tips and trick should have been just don't play against titans on dead monk or wild plains or maps like that, unless someone has an idea how to advance on tank/speeders then walker(s) :o. I am currently staring down SpringFire with 6 batteries against 4 walkers with a him having a single tank + speeders and me having a single tank + marauders meaning the second anyone moves into seige range they're going to lose, and that situation looks easy to fall into.

On maps with some open space like chato hill or montevideo then it's a matchup which requires precise play but it's a pretty even and entertaining one.

Watch this space if I work out how to push early on against titans but atm it looks highly unlikely >.<.
Xenai

Xenai

Titans is definitely my most difficult match as saps, thanks for the pointers. I've been using tank/engi walls but they often get overwhelmed as you mentioned, so I'll give the marine/marauder/battery strat a try.
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

A tip I can give would be to constantly attack (or most of the time) and from two different directions. As said somewhere around here it's very expensive for a titan to defend two or three bases at once.
Also DON'T LOST TIME!!!! The more you give him the sooner you will be in a no win situation because he has a wall backed by walkers.
And solitary, I'm actually pretty good against titans on wildplains, as saps and khrals (not unbeatable mind you).
Last tip, don't play them on deadmonk. Dunno for you, but I just CAN'T play correctly on this map >.<

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
Solitary

Solitary

Wild plains is better than dead monk as the bases are more spread out and easier to attack. I think dead monk needs the modification I suggested with the top forest tile being changed to desert in order to get proper fights against titans as the bases are too easy to defend otherwise. I've been working on a strategy to counteract titans on that map though and so far I've had some pretty funny results against people who haven't seen it before :o.

[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

Well yeah it's like in starcraft. MOST noobs and newbs use rush tactics, they work well when you don't know how to counter them and they are quick (hence the "rush" xD).
But, once you defeat that "strategy", then it becomes pretty obvious that they're clueless as what to do next and you defeat them without breaking a sweat

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
Solitary

Solitary

I've just been sending conga lines of marines down the mountains and building nothing else until I see what they make, it's actually quite disruptive. They can't use that mass speeder strategy against it because you need to leave the choke open in order to protect your base if you do that and normally you can get a battery aimed at the base you're heading for with the marines! I think it can be stopped but it disrupts their plans quite considerably for very little cost.

And I'd disagree about starcraft rushes, boxer was famous for rushing pretty much everyone at some stage in his dynasty and I'm sure a lot of people copied that xD.
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

I meant noob rushes, I'm not talking about pros. Of course pros can follow up they gain money with that! xD

Wandering...
Gen Petraeus

Gen Petraeus

I have actually found tanks to be effective- either this 1900 rated guy was a noob or he just sucked with Titans, i don't know, but he created a wall of plasmas, and had 3 walkers, but I picked a point in his wall, and killed 3 of his tanks with a mass of helis and tanks, and broke through with a couple of marauders and damaged his walkers- he had a few speeders and eclipses as backup, but i was able to just break through and i guess overpower? I don't know. Maybe out build? Cause he was killing me as i advanced.... I don't know. It was just funny because I won... And... I did have engineers move up with me. And yes, I used the EMP to kill the 3 tanks, although it took me a while since they kept on getting killed when I moved up, hehe getting mowed down by an MG anyway, thoughts about this kind of strategy?

Why is it that people suck sometimes?
It's a question I ask myself sometimes. My answer??? "It's Life noob! Get on with it!"
Gen Petraeus

Gen Petraeus

Oh and the map i was playing on was starvation

Why is it that people suck sometimes?
It's a question I ask myself sometimes. My answer??? "It's Life noob! Get on with it!"
Solitary

Solitary

He sounds like a noob, lol. If titans just sit there until they're ready to advance you'll find your helis and tanks looking really stupid in a straight up fight, especially the helis. The only time I build helis against titan is against mecha/walker because it slows their advance down as it's easy to get helicopter inside walker range if you're mostly up against ground light units. Even in those cases I mostly just build one xD.
Xenai

Xenai

Whats the most effective counter for a fast walker protected by a meatshield of mechas?
Solitary

Solitary

Depending on the map there isn't one really xD. On forest walk it's just plain annoying although what I do on that map is get fast tank with an engineer behind it and a battery or 2/3/4 (depending how late in the game it is) and seige the base with mountains behind it. Then I mass marines and storm that base with the intention of going over the mountains to get to the walkers!

Once you've got them on the back foot slip in a marauder or two and look for an opening or try to get to the other nearby base xD. You can keep the walkers busy shooting at one marine by repeatedly capturing the exposed base as titan can't defend it without using walker shots on that one marine.

Also make 1-2 helicopters to slow the titan advance as you can get a clean hit on the walkers and then stop the heli inside wlker range if their meatshield isn't as a strong as they think it is and you manage to snipe a couple of mecha with your marauders.

Good luck!
Xenai

Xenai

I just can't seem to beat titans on dead monk. Plasma/Speeder combos break a cheap meatshield and you won't have enough batteries out to counter his first walker if you put a tank at the choke. Or at least that's my experience, I don't know if you've got any tips? I tried the single battery rush but the better players just retreat until you over-extend or they have enough tanks+speeders to break through before you can do much damage with your batteries.
[Avatar]
Nixflix

[Avatar]
Nixflix

So sorry, this post was accidental

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 11, 2010 17:10

Sorry if i offended you
Forum Index » Sapiens