[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Beating Sapiens
Forum Index » Khraleans
[Avatar]
Swarrrm

[Avatar]
Swarrrm

Solitary wrote: Khrals and saps is an odd one though xD. On balanced maps I think it's not so bad but the random element can totally screw khral over in a way that doesn't happen with the other two races, also there's potential for luck in covering buried units. For example if you hit a heli with two garuda and +2 gangup bonus then most times it will die but on the few times it doesn't then you've badly weakened two units for no gain, or you lose another tempo and screw up your attack. Also 10hp garuda will mostly kill 5hp heli but if it doesn't then again you often don't have the tempo available to stop from becoming disadvantaged.

Titans and saps both have less of an issue in that area because they have more units which can move after attack or attack with range so they have better strategic options from unlucky combat results. If you get unlucky with your garuda against helis then it's stuck right in the front row waiting to get mowed down by marines, and there's no real way to compensate for it.

It's also fun to do 9 damage instead of 10 to an assimilator with your ninjaling.
Solitary

Solitary

That is annoying but tends to be less critical as you'll have other units around to finish it off probably without losing outright! My garuda/underling strategy is pretty much the only way of beating skilled sapien players and it's very inefficient having too many wyrms and swarmers around the place, so when the garuda fails it's generally fatal. I'm chatting with kralux atm about the lack of flexibility in khral and about random factors in general as one of those two things probably needs to change (although hopefully the map update will create some more prominent khral players).

For anyone following my stats I've got two losses impending so I'm now 2088 with 53 wins and 5 losses (soon to be 7 xD).

A fair number of those wins come from one simple fact, sapiens aren't afraid of khral. They just pile in with marines and helis in pretty much the exact same sequence regardless of what you build or where you move, use that to advantage :o.
Isolation

Isolation

My last post I was signed in on the wrong account, lol.

I'm trying to keep my khral and sapien accounts seperate but failing badly >.<. In any case, I'll be temporarily over the 2100 mark for the first time as khral in a few turns time so if I could get a quick cheer then I'd appreciate it :o.
Isolation

Isolation

Back on topic, infectors and pinzers!

They do have uses which I'm slowly getting together although oddly enough only when you've established an advantage already or are trying to provoke a mistake when you're losing. I built my first pinzer vs sapiens on gold rush a day or so ago against camwolf and it amazed me that he was the right man for the job :o.

So when should you build these units? Often when trading punches with helis you'll find yourself with many weakened garuda all at the same time and if you're not ahead it's critical to keep producing more of them and repairing the odd stray one here and there as you're fighting. In those cases giving the enemy that breathing room of making non combat units will allow them back into the game and khral creates a far less static advantage than the other two races (it's hard to explain). If you manage to come out ahead on the exchange though and have multiple weakened garuda up against only 1-2 high hp helis and several marines then a fast retreat and then producing an infector to put everything back up to at least 7hp is pretty decisive. I've also got a game still ongoing from the very first ones I created as khral which is currently on move 92 where I think I've finally managed to claw back my awful awful start against this guy with several plague bombs, as he has given me two infected marines so far. I built the infector to try and look for a mistake and he gave me several windows for devastating plagues xD. In summary... healing garudas AFTER you've established an advantage is the time to build infectors, or to try and set traps when you're losing.

Pinzer shut down the game on gold rush as I'd just managed to take out most of wolf's helis which were around the top bases and he had a single heli with marine spam to try and catch me with my pants down at the bottom of the map. So yea, basically I'd beaten him on the top half of the map and my units were out of position and weakened but I'd saved for pinzer to allow me healing time. I'd summarise that again with if you're ahead on units but your bases are under attack and everything is damaged or too far away, then pinzer is great for converting your advantage.
Hachiman

Hachiman

I think there is at least one other somewhat effective build than the one you are using for Khral vs Sap at the moment Solitary.

It's a bit map/build dependent but basically it involves using an Infector to just threaten Marines with capture, reducing their ability to screen Heli's, Underlings to crowd the Heli's escape, and Garuda to wear them down early (and heal via the Infector) rather than one turn double team kill them.
Solitary

Solitary

I'd be interested to see that in action as I can't imagine how you do it without getting crushed by helis while you prepare it xD.
Isolation

Isolation

Another useful trick... "the fishing pole". Place a slightly forward garuda off to one side where it is in range of only one enemy helicopter and see if they get tempted to hit it and then follow in with the rest of their helis :o. Critical to this again is underling placement as often they'll hit the heli when they're in a position to reinforce and start trading punches but if you have a sneaky underling then you can often screen off reinforcements and kill off at least one heli for the cost of a garuda.

With good positioning as well then you can repair the damaged garuda mid combat which will leave it worst case scenario at 6hp and shielded off from the helis going into the enemy turn xD.
Forum Index » Khraleans