[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Titan vs Titan
Forum Index » Titans
boourns

boourns

Does anyone enjoy this matchup? Personally I find it exceedingly tedious. Every match just ends up being plasma tank vs plasma tank with a race to build walkers. On low resource maps this process just takes way too long, with many turns spent with little combat and just saving up resources.

I could be biased, since i find the titan race to be the most flawed anyway. If i were redesigning, i would make all the race's infantry units have more similar movement, with mechas able to move 3 spaces. I would also change the speeder or the eclipse to not take stat penalties in swamp/forest so titans can better hold their own on terrain heavy maps.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 03, 2010 10:59

[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

Well, there's a bit of strategy behind titan vs titan play. First of all, I wouldn't make a plasma tank all too early. Make a speeder first, to scout ahead with it's great vision. Most likely, (I would say 90% of the time) your titan opponent isn't going to rush with a plasma. Just start building up more and more walkers behind your one speeder. By the time you have 4-5 walkers, there's no chance that your opponent would be able to charge, and you'll probably have 250 more credits than your opponent if he built a plasma first. 250 credits in a titan vs titan battle goes a long way...If the map is a low credit map, you'll be able to make a walker 2-3 turns earlier than your opponent. Also, on maps with a decent amount of forest/mountain, it's a good idea to make some mechas. (probably around 4-5) They're great for surrounding lone walkers, and they also are great for killing teleported mechas from your opponent's side.
Mechas have low mobility because they're very strong in the other areas, compared to the marine and underling.

When life gives you lemons...

"TAKE YOUR DAMN LEMONS BACK, LIFE. I DON'T WANT YOUR STINKIN' LEMONS."
[Avatar]
Cpt Hawaiian

[Avatar]
Cpt Hawaiian

I agree with nfong. The fun of titan vs. titan is realizing that you can head to walkers much quicker than against any other matchup. If you build walkers early vs. Khrals, you get raped with buried underlings and swarmers. Against Saps, you risk a quick marine or double-moving marauder slipping by. But against Titans who can't really rush, it behooves you to get walkers out a bit earlier and use them to control the areas. Just make sure to place units next to them for escape routes and defense should you get mecha-warp-walled by your opponent.

Titan vs. Titan ends up being a balance of this careful walker build in addition to mecha warps all over the place for zone control, walker attack/surrounds, and base blocking. I actually find Titan vs. Titan to be fun. Control your areas, build walkers, mecha warp, and move in! This matchup has quite a lot of depth!

---------------------------------------
MODERATOR has spoken.
[WWW]
lion3

lion3

Same race matchups are almost always boring.

Khral vs khral is just mass swarmers on both sides.

Sap vs. Sap will often be slightly more interesting, depending on terrain. It might be mass heli's, or it might also involve some marines + marauders.

[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

lion3 wrote: Same race matchups are almost always boring.

Khral vs khral is just mass swarmers on both sides.

Sap vs. Sap will often be slightly more interesting, depending on terrain. It might be mass heli's, or it might also involve some marines + marauders.

But sometimes with k v k, if the distance between the two player's bases is small, won't garudas work?

When life gives you lemons...

"TAKE YOUR DAMN LEMONS BACK, LIFE. I DON'T WANT YOUR STINKIN' LEMONS."
[Avatar]
lantry

[Avatar]
lantry

i just played a kvk against the_owner, and am currently playing another one. both of the games were played on desolate, and i won the first one (barely) because i managed to get a buried underling to his rear base. If i hadn't i probably would have been overcome by his swarm. spamming swarmers is the best way to play kvk, imo, which is unfortunate. of course, it is next to impossible to fix this, as the sort of "rock-paper-scissors" element that appears in all other games can't appear so much in a game where both sides have access to the exact same unit set.
[Avatar]
lantry

[Avatar]
lantry

Wow, i take back almost everything i said in the last post. swarmer spam is beatable if you catch it quick with garuda, and make sure to pull them back to heal before they die. also, building a pinzer or two can help, as they act like a good wall to help protect your healing units, and can attack swarmers decently if they get close enough. I dont think this would work so well if they had a chance to build up, and keep in mind this is against 100% swarmer.
lion3

lion3

This is a complex game, so obviously there can be some exception such as sneaking an underling unnoticed to a base, etc.

But in general, for large scale K vs. K battles, its nothing but swarmers.
Garudas are strong when they attack, but then they get killed by the swarmers without doing any damage.
So in the end a garuda/ swarmer mix gets dominated by an all swarmer mix.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 12, 2011 02:24

[Avatar]
lantry

[Avatar]
lantry

Maybe TheOwner is just terrible with swarmers (which i doubt) but i had good success with the mix, at least on this map. Yes, its probably different on some maps of different size, i just wanted to let people know that there might be a way.
here are some screenies from the second game:
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc506/lantry/IMG_0269.png
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc506/lantry/IMG_0270.png
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc506/lantry/IMG_0271.png
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc506/lantry/IMG_0272.png
Yes, i'm already winning at this point, but you get the idea.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 16, 2020 15:07

[Avatar]
C J WAY

[Avatar]
C J WAY

why is that when i attack a walker i have rated 11 against a walker rated 5 or 6 my walker is removed and his walker recieves no damage?? cjway
xenres

xenres

titans vs titans is just about who can manage their units better. if its a large map, start out with a couple of mechs and tele to strategic locations near enough to know what your opponent is doing. rush with 3-5 eclipses to wipe out weaker units and if your opponent brings out the tanks, use tyhe walkers. walker take 3 damage each so with about 3 of them, your sure to keep them scared. THE WALKERS ARE MEANT FOR KILLING. especially at vet 2. they take 4.5 damage and can easily kill anything from a distance
Forum Index » Titans