[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Too much luck involved in small maps?
Forum Index » General Discussion
Xenai

Xenai

I'm not particularly crazy about the idea of luck in strategy games in the first place, but I understand adding it in so there's an element of uncertainty and a larger requirement for adaptation. However, on small maps it seems to me it's just too prevalent. Getting a bad combat result or a good one in a key attack can make or break the game when there's only a couple units, and even with relatively unimportant unit vs. unit battles, a string of bad/good combat results early on can give one player a really significant advantage on small maps.
Solitary

Solitary

I had the luck debate with kralux in game as well as I actually agree that it's a little too extreme but in reality it wouldn't be that bad if there were more games with high unit counts. A lot of maps you can start trading punches by round two and with the credits per turn being so low on those maps then it's not really practical to catch up. It would be interesting to double the income on those small maps though and see if it makes things a little less dependant on one or two combat results!
Solitary

Solitary

One of my losses on the isolation account was 100% down to two bad combat results in a row and tbh that's just stupid. I think the luck should be between two numbers rather than three as the difference between a 5 point hit on a heli and a 3 point hit on a heli (with a garuda) is just ridiculous. If it was between 4 points and 5 you'd know that there's always a chance of taking the heli down with a second hit and +2 gangup whereas now sometimes you'll know from the first hit that it's going to take 3 attacks.

It goes very much against my idea of a strategy game to carefully plan out a sequence of moves and be forced to deviate into damage limitation after a single bad result throwing my calculations off.
Xenai

Xenai

Solitary wrote: One of my losses on the isolation account was 100% down to two bad combat results in a row and tbh that's just stupid. I think the luck should be between two numbers rather than three as the difference between a 5 point hit on a heli and a 3 point hit on a heli (with a garuda) is just ridiculous. If it was between 4 points and 5 you'd know that there's always a chance of taking the heli down with a second hit and +2 gangup whereas now sometimes you'll know from the first hit that it's going to take 3 attacks.

It goes very much against my idea of a strategy game to carefully plan out a sequence of moves and be forced to deviate into damage limitation after a single bad result throwing my calculations off.

I actually think that last part, being thrown off and having to adjust, arguably adds more strategy to the game. However, I agree that there's way too much of it going on and it has far too big an effect. I like your idea of doubling the resources from bases on small maps. What did Kralux argue?
Isolation

Isolation

He didn't really argue but we didn't reach a concrete conclusion either! And yea, being forced to adapt is fine if you have units on the map to adapt with but if you only have four units in play then you can't really adjust your plan xD. Will see how things work out once the level editor is added and I can adjust the maps myself and proprose them as changes :o.
Forum Index » General Discussion