[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Suggestions
Forum Index » General Discussion
Xenai

Xenai

1.3.0 was a very drastic change to the game in an attempt to fix things up. I, and I think a fairly large portion of the rest of the community, don't think the update was the ideal way to fix a lot of those problems. Below, I'll list the problems I see with the game and my suggestions for solutions.

1. Cheating. The cleanest way to get rid of this is to fix the exploits in the game people can use to cheat. However, that is probably much easier said than done. Instead, I think a few simple steps could curb the effect of cheating by a lot. First, do a ladder reset. Some of the people who cheated their way to the top probably used exploits which have been fixed since, some no longer follow the game, and some won't want to put in the work to cheat their way back to the top. All of this dead wood clogging up the higher ranks will be removed with a simple reset, along with people who got their playing only on imbalanced maps. Second, implement that replay system which you've been talking about. Do a check on the replays on any players who rise to the top of the new ladder suspiciously fast. Create a thread where people can post the game ID of games they've been cheated on, and the round in which the cheating happened, so devs can do a fast relatively easy check to confirm if the cheating happened. This will get rid of the vast majority of the cheaters not eliminated by the reset.

2. Map balance. Making people play random maps in random positions was very extreme. It would be so much simpler to just removed the option to make imbalanced maps rated games when hosting them. Then, release that mapmaker you've been talking about so players can create their own balanced maps to add to the pool.

3. Gameplay variety. Random games with random factions in random positions does make the gameplay much, much more varied, I agree. However, it would be far more effective to get players to do this by using a carrot instead of a gigantic spiked club. Make the second+ random game in a row (not the first, since then players could turn down rated games until they found one to their liking) give, say, 50% more points for a win and have 50% less points deducted for a loss. People still have the freedom to choose how they want to play and participate in the ladder, but there's also a strong motivation to branch out and start playing random games as well.
mogrog

mogrog

One solution with unbalanced maps might be just to block the race that the map heavily favors, too. For example with Land Bridge, Titans have a huge advantage but I'm pretty sure sapiens and khrals have a reasonably fair fight. No sense chucking the map entirely when you could just grey out the titan selection.
Forum Index » General Discussion