[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
OLD POST - Six New Units To Be Created. We Need Your Ideas!
Forum Index » New Feature Request
hydrogen

hydrogen

Wow, I have read some great ideas these past few days. I shall let it be known that nothing is written in stone. I am being told by the developers that the units they create will come soley from the ideas on this thread. So that means any number of new units could be created (though for now, I think there maximum is six). I told Xavi to give us uniwarriors 3-4 weeks to all collaborate our ideas on the matter. Then im going to hold a vote, to see what units are favored to become the next new units for uniwar.

Please, everyone spread the word on uniwar to come visit the forums. Not everyone visits the forum regularly. This is an important decision as it will effect all of us.

Now to Comment.

Alteschwede: You suggested a hybrid unit that travels fast on water but slow on land. Then a post or two later Rwieczor84 suggest a crocodile with those same characteristics. Then waxoid says he likes the idea conceptually. I too, like this idea, and will be making a note of it.

Kurtonius: I hope im not the only one that feels this way, but you sir have some genius ideas for titans and khrals (wasent crazy about the saps, but to each his own, right?). You suggested that titans have energy based attacks. I simply love this idea, and i think I can expand on it to everyones (most everyones) liking.

This should be Titans first (and only) air unit. Call it the observer. It does zero damage to all units. Infact it cant even attack. But, it can create force feilds (increase a units defense within range for a single round), transport (ability to move any titan unit anywhere on map to within 2 hexes of observer), Tractor beam (ability to move any enemy unit one hex away),cloaking (ability to choose one unit within a 3 hex range to cloak, cloaking goes away if enemy unit lands next to cloaked unit or on it.

This observer will have a power core so to speak, which is drained by a certain amount every time a special ability is used. those specifics I shall leave to the devs.

Also, Kurtonius suggested a "gecko". A unit that can shape shift to look like any other unit of the khralean race. I need more specifics on this, but i really like this idea as well.

As for YOU waxoid, I think we all can agree a submarine is definatly in order =) . I like the idea of treating submerged subs like submerged lings (minesweeper style).

Some real good ideas coming about. Remember to leave messeges in all your current games inviting everyone to visit the forums!
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

thanks hydrogen

My main thing is that we keep thinking in terms of game balance as well as fun game effects, and that was the spirit with which I made suggestions. New units represent a really important opportunity to advance the nature of uniwar as a deep strategy game as well as a fun one. This probably means, for example, *some* new way for Khral to mix up the marine-heli stranglehold that currently renders many khral-sap matches repetitive and with a predictable outcome. (While gecko and crocodile are very cool, not clear how they help with that – depends on implementation of course.) And similarly some way for Titans to change the game as far as underling/swarmer/wyrm siege goes, and for Sapiens to have some tricks that can keep games interesting longer against Titans even if they don't get a knockout base capture in the first n moves or whatever (dealing with walker dominance and heavy defenses.) I'm sure this group has the creativity to achieve both goals!
cogger

cogger

Khrals seem to get wrecked by helicopters, so why not a unit that can say, leave a single hex trap that will ground the helicopter and other flying units to a ground heavy. The helicopter could still attack. This would help, but not totally unbalence it, as underlings wouldnt do much to it anyways
cogger

cogger

It would only be a one turn change
[Avatar]
talone

[Avatar]
talone

The new units are very easy to mess up the balance, so we must be very careful here.

So I suggest not just a new unit, and a new class of units for all races: Power-up units. This will support the units that will increase the attack of the neighboring (adjacent) units at one point (cumulative effect).

All of these units should be flying. They should be not cheap, for example 300-400 credits. They must also have low defense. Also in these units may be other additional capabilities (unique for each race)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 31, 2012 10:57

Who loves UniWar and wants seriously study the UniWar secrets and tactics - email me
[WWW]
butz

butz

Cpt Hawaiian wrote: UBER UNITS:

Since many high level games often end in building up a wall of forces and filling up every tile, I thought it would be cool if there was a higher tier of units, say costing 1000, that are designed to break this stalemate.

SAPIENS: Nuke Cost: 850 Range: 5 hexes.

The nuke is a totally expendable unit. Upon launching, it disappears, but marks the map with where it will land for all to see. (It covers a circle of 7 hexes) when it lands one turn later, it does 10 attack to everything within those 7 hexes. Want to break those front Titan lines? Or decimate that group of swarmers? This may be your best bet.

TITANS: Ultra-Walker Cost: 1000

Take a regular walker and give it 6 range and 12 attack to ground light. (still only 5 vision, though) Now you can really pick off those far off units.

KHRALS: Haven't thought of one yet.

This is a great idea!
Here's an idea for the KHRALS:
Burrowed Banelings
Basically move about below the surface ala burrowed ants, once you resurface it explodes with a range of 3-4(?)hexes.

...however, the only drawback of these 'nuke' units maybe that they are unstoppable...meaning once deployed, you can't stop the attack.
butz

butz

talone wrote: The new units are very easy to mess up the balance, so we must be very careful here.

I think it's OK to mess up the balance for a while as long as the devs keep coming out with updates that re-balance the units. Because the only way to expand the game is to go bold and try new things, otherwise we'll always be stuck with the same game or a game with little changes throughout to keep things fresh.

So I think if there are good ideas, go with them...we can always re-balance things later.
[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

I think talone is right, we need to keep balance in mind. Here's a few suggestions:

Khraleans: Long-range anti-air unit (Ground light)
Reason: Khrals currently have three major issues that this could solve.
First of all, it would help Khrals beat the Heli+Marine spam by destroying the Helis. It should have a fairly strong anti-air attack, maybe enough to give a Heli 5 damage. These units should still be semi-vulnerable to Helis (no attack at range of 1?) so they aren't a show stopper, but they should do reasonably damage at fairly long range.
Second, it could help solve the weakness of the Khrals to enemy artillery (especially Walkers) by giving them a longer ranged unit. It should have a max range of 4 and attack after move, but it should also have lower damage than artillery units to compensate. I envision this unit wearing down the health of enemy units (a bit like Swarmers) without getting too close.
Third, this unit would help remove the overwhelming advantage of Swarmers (and Garuda) in Khral vs Khral matches, making the use of ground units more practical.

Sapiens: Mid-range anti-vehicle/air unit (Ground Light)
This could be called Rocket Trooper
Reason: This unit would help Sapiens overcome a few shortcomings: The inability to destroy heavy units easily and the lack of anti-air capacity. They should have a powerful attack against air and ground heavy units at a range of two, but they should be stunned (reloading) for one turn after every attack to allow for enemy assault. This unit would give Sapiens a way to take out the units that currently plague them, but thanks to the reload this unit would have to be used in a much more tactical way than Helis and Marines are used currently.

Titans: Unit of mass destruction (Air)
This could be called Missile.
Reason: The main problem Titans have is that they have too low of attacks to destroy mobs of enemy units. I propose a unit that would be able to fly over other units (like underling, except visible and no need to bury and un-bury). This unit would have no attack, but when it is destroyed or the Titan player chooses to detonate it the unit explodes and damages all units within a range of 2 (Even Titans). Because Titans can be destroyed by this unit they would need to be careful, but if they use it correctly it should be able to damage mostly enemy units. It should have to have a heavy defense and/or high attack to make it possible for it to get into the center of enemy mobs.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 31, 2012 15:47

DroidFreak, the roboticist who plays as Khrals.

(Or Titans now that I realize how legit they are)
[WWW]
[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

Continued from my last post...

All races: Short-range anti-aquatic (Aquatic)
This should be different for every race, Submarine would be great for Sapiens, provided that the other races can fight anti-sub.
Reason: Sea battles get really boring when each race has only 1 aquatic unit. To change things up I suggest that the current units be treated more like artillery and a new tier of anti-aquatic units be rolled out to destroy the current units and each other. These new units should have ranges of 1 (maybe 2), but should be fast and should have powerful anti-aquatic attacks. Gangup with two of these units should be enough to destroy any sea unit. To make these unique for each race you could throw in special abilities, such as submerge, extra range (2 instead of 1) or move after attack. Maybe the Titans should get one with good anti-air to help combat Swarmers, Garudas and Helis over water.

[WWW]
[Avatar]
Cpt Hawaiian

[Avatar]
Cpt Hawaiian

talone wrote: The new units are very easy to mess up the balance, so we must be very careful here.

So I suggest not just a new unit, and a new class of units for all races: Power-up units. This will support the units that will increase the attack of the neighboring (adjacent) units at one point (cumulative effect).

All of these units should be flying. They should be not cheap, for example 300-400 credits. They must also have low defense. Also in these units may be other additional capabilities (unique for each race)

I agree exactly with this. I think new support units for each race would be great, and that they should be aerial so as to be able to go anywhere and support. The titan support unit especially should be aerial. Being that khrals are already the most mobile with flying units, they might have a ground support unit just to mix it up.)

What would be BAD, in my opinion, is a host of new aerial COMBAT units. If you think about it, aerial units already have a HUGE HUGE advantage over ground heavy units. They never have any defensive penalties over any terrain, even bases. And their movement is never hindered by terrain (except for bases slightly). Too many new aerial combat units would only make ground units less useful and make map layouts less important!!! I think I'm okay with maybe 1 new aerial combat unit, but quite honestly I don't think we need any more than that, if even that. Otherwise, I think we need a new tile type that only hinders aerial units and doesn't hinder ground

I think the new class of units could be "uber-tier" and more expensive units in the 800-1000 credits or so range, meant for those high level, late game stalemate type games where each side is building up a massive army on every tile and turtling to the max. These uber-units could break through the front lines, do mass damage to multiple tiles, and/or be able to take a beating while it smashes through front lines.

I also think that new additions to the game could simply be new abilities to already existing units. For example, if Pinzers had an ability called "Devour" which kills a swarmer instantly at a cost of 6 HP to the Pinzer, that would actually make them useful in Khral vs. Khral and help reduce swarmer spam. Or if marauders had a cool-down ability called "speed boost" that allowed them, for one of their 2 turns only, to negate zone control of the enemy, that would help them get behind a titan wall and hit walkers. Just brainstorming

---------------------------------------
MODERATOR has spoken.
[WWW]
[Avatar]
talone

[Avatar]
talone

We can also add Defense Mode (DM) for all units.

When DM is activated, the unit can not move for 3 turns and can't attack first, but its defence ability highly increase.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 31, 2012 22:41

Who loves UniWar and wants seriously study the UniWar secrets and tactics - email me
[WWW]
[Avatar]
talone

[Avatar]
talone

But may be DM should have only infantry and light ground units. Because, for example, plasma tank with activated DM would be undestroyable

[WWW]
[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

I actually think that power up units and especially uber units have much more potential to unbalance things than adding more regular units like I suggest. The nature of the uber units could have huge impact on balance issues, and the power of these units would need to be carefully adjusted so people don't start making them too early or making too many of them. How boring would it be if battles turned into a slugfest between uber units? As for power up units and defense mode, they would make unbreakable walls of defense even harder to break through, exacerbating the problem of late-game stalemates with massive defensive armies. Because all races would have them they probably wouldn't hurt balance, but they wouldn't help either.

[WWW]
[Avatar]
talone

[Avatar]
talone

i am against super-units too
Very unbalanced thing

I think we should work on special abilitys like: power up, speed up, slow enemy, weak enemy, may be some special auras

And may be transport units, that move fast and can cary another units

[WWW]
[Avatar]
talone

[Avatar]
talone

may be ALL races should make teleport ANY unit. But teleportated unit absolutely have no defence (defence = 0) during 2 turns, cant attack, move and have no zone of controle

[WWW]
Forum Index » New Feature Request