[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Messages posted by: dingo
Forum Index Profile for dingo »» Messages posted by dingo
Technical Support Questions » RNG = not so random....? (Other questions inside) » Go to message
Firstoff, I apologize about the novel that's about to be laid down here, but hopefully this thread will help me better understand certain aspects of UniWar.

My officemate and I are currently playing in a Peanut Isle (PEANUTISL3351 and have seen some things that struck us as incredibly odd. I'll list them below.

During one of the early turns, my officemate attacked a 10 health mecha capturing the center base with a 6 health marine from the mountains. End result deal 2 damage, took 6. Unit destroyed.

While this was frustrating, something similar popped up, so the two of us decided to experiment a bit. We had both read the thread on the online code of conduct and never realized some of the things it seems people are doing to get an edge. The one that stuck out most to us was #3.

3. A turn started on a device must end on the same device. In other words, the player cannot change device within the same turn.

We had never considered the possibility that this was done. We supposed that this could possibly be exploited in some way, so we dug a little deeper. We found the exploit that essentially allowed us to "re-do" our turns when we came across our second "odd" attack of the match. We had decided to bend the rules a tad, as the above link is a "draft." I understand that what we had done was somewhat unethical, but we had wanted to get to the bottom of how these rolls are really made.

On the top base, the top base was being captured by a 10 health underling. This underling was first attacked from the mountains by a 10 health marine and inflicted 5 damage while taking 3 in return. The second marine moves to the mountains and attacks with what should be a gang-up bonus. The end result was 4 damage done, 3 damage received.

(Continued in 2nd post, first has capped out on characters)
General Discussion » Online Code of Conduct - The UniWar "Constitution" » Go to message
  Hachiman wrote: Also, aren't short term alliances and attendant backstabbing common practice in multi-player FFA's?

Agreed. If I have a high rated player next to me and I can see them creating a front on another player, I'm going to leave them be for some time until I feel that I can successfully attack and take over some of their bases.

Another note: My wife and I both play UniWar. I've purchased the game for both of our idevices, as well as I will be purchasing it for my HTC Hero when it arrives tomorrow. Are you checking IP addresses that games are being played from, or are you getting something like a device ECID?

I tether my ipod from a jailbroken iphone currently, so all of the data comes from the same data IP address. Is this going to be a problem? I apologize if these seem strange requests or notes, I just don't want to unjustly be banned since I enjoy playing this game with both my officemate and my wife.
Technical Support Questions » How do you contact someone here via email? » Go to message
  kralux wrote: Support@uniwar.com

Yes, you can play cross platform using an HTC Hero Android phone against any other player. All players from all devices are connected together.

Ahh, that's good to know. I was somewhat worried as there was the notification that the older (pre 1.0.5 iphone clients) would not be able to connect to the online servers anymore.

Can't wait to try this out on the Android platform when my new HTC Hero gets here!

(is it sad that I bought my friends old ipod touch 2G since I didn't want to be without UniWar?)
Technical Support Questions » How do you contact someone here via email? » Go to message
I posted in the general forums without any real response, then, when looking for SOME kind of contact information, I've come up with nothing.

Is there a customer support email alias that we can hit up for questions regarding the application and cross platform variations? I've tried the search functionality to see if my question has been asked, but I can't seem to get a clear answer on if you can actually play against iphone users on an Android device.

My iphone has gone AWOL and I'm looking to purchase an HTC Hero, but only if I can continue playing w/ my friends that already have the game on their idevice.
General Discussion » UniWar for Android - can you play online with it yet? » Go to message
http://www.cyrket.com/package/android.uniwar

So... I see that this is version 1.0.2, but if I move to the HTC Hero and purchase this, will I be able to play online currently with my officemate who is currently playing with an iphone version?

I'm absolutely let down with my iphone, but the only reason that I've kept it is because of UniWar. I just want to be able to play online w/ my buddies!
New Feature Request » PUSH ! » Go to message
Please realize that 1.0.5 is slated to have push notifications built into the application.

The dev team has stated that it's currently in Apple's hands on when they will approve the new update to UniWar which will include this, plus filtering options for games.

I would hesitate to place much/any blame on the UniWar dev team, as they stated it's been well over a month since the update was submitted to the app store. I can't validate that they did this, or have received any feedback from Apple, but I wouldn't think that they would lie to us about this update.

Right now I think it's best that we be appreciative of the dev team for actually updating an application considering they don't see any extra revenue aside extra sales. They host servers that allow us to play online, and currently it seems people aren't looking deeper into the costs and work that go into keeping a great game like this online.
Technical Support Questions » Server asplode? » Go to message
I have to admit that I was hoping that it was the 1.0.5 upgrade, but I'm glad all is back up and running. Thanks for the responses guys, as always, you're awesome.
What's New in the Latest Updates » Porting iPhone games to Zune HD » Go to message
I'm not sure if the developers have seen this in action just yet, but I found the article pretty interesting and possibly helpful in porting the UniWar client over to at least the Zune HD (and possibly beyond!)

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2009/09/iphone-game-ported-to-zune-hd-in-just-12-hours.ars

http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/685499-iphone-app-ported-over-zune-hd.html

While I don't know how UniWar was written, it seems as though it's a very interesting article to say the least. I recall hearing of the possibility of UniWar being brought to possibly WinMo and Android, I'd LOVE to see a larger player base come along!

Keep on rockin guys!
Technical Support Questions » Server asplode? » Go to message
Sorry to have this be a re-post from the General forums, but it always feels like we get a bit more of a response from these TS forums.

There seems to be something going on with the AI not joining in games currently. Are you guys possibly prepping for the 1.0.5 version and something blew up? Or is this (unfortunately) intended at this point in time?
General Discussion » BOT opponents offline? » Go to message
I also have a "pending" join from my officemate who logged in and joined the games while watching his phone.

Frustrating to say the least.
New Feature Request » Limit spamming of new games » Go to message
I understand that some people like a single map, but please, don't allow people to spam games like this? It's obvious that they're just trying to prey on people who don't have a great 3 person team that would sign up all at once as well.

Is there a way to limit the amount of (the same) games people can start? I'm just tired of trying to wade through and figure out who is just trying to boost their PR up.

Ninja Edit: Added image
General Discussion » What are your reasons for not surrendering when doomed? » Go to message
I think there is a pretty wide definition of what you would call "doomed."

I've been able to pull out some very interesting turn arounds from what some people would call doomed, and each of them was a huge learning experience. You can also use games like that to test out new strategies, even if it's only against a small side force.
Technical Support Questions » "Available to random games" being reset to "Yes" » Go to message
  rolando wrote: By the way dingo, if you are thrown into a random game like that surrendering during the first 3 turns does not result in a loss to your score.

D'oh! (That's a good thing to know!)

My officemate noticed the same happened to him once as well, but he caught it far earlier than I did. I'd queued up for quite a few games through the "Join Games" menu and had figured many of them were just taking some time to start since I generally only watch my games that I have a turn in.

I figured after 10+ games where it started me as Sapiens (when I never usually play them) something was funky.

Thanks again for the reply. I'll say it again and again, this is by far the most used app on my iphone (aside mail) I can't wait to see what you guys come up with in future patches!

Bonus question: Any news from Apple on when we might see the new patch?
Technical Support Questions » Pause games because of iPhone Hardware Error? » Go to message
  harakiri wrote: Ok, but are you able to disable the mail-notification?

christia n

Mail notification is inside the Headquarters -> My Account -> Email notifications

It can be switched off, or you can change the email address to one that isn't populating onto your iphone.
Technical Support Questions » "Available to random games" being reset to "Yes" » Go to message
  kralux wrote: Switch off your availability to random games and non-friend players.

I understand that's the way to get the games to stop being generated, but after changing that setting it will occasionally default back to "Yes" instead of "No" for that option.

Nobody else is playing my account, and the only option I've gone to while in the game is to either set up a new game with my officemate, or to check current games and join ones he may have started.

It's frustrating since I've had to tank my PR just to get open slots in games. I'm sure over time I'll be able to build it up some, but again, I'm sure anyone could understand my frustration.
Forum Index Profile for dingo »» Messages posted by dingo