[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
UPDATE - New units !
Forum Index » New Feature Request
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Sapien unit names

Grenadier - for a bazooka or RPG trooper

Commando or SEAL - for a GL unit that moves well through rough terrain / swamps / water

LAC-[X] - [X] can be a variable. For instance - V for Vehicle. LAC is the US military acronym Lighter Air Cushion ... I figure you could go LAC-AV for Lighter Air Cushion Assault Vehicle. Maybe we could think up a more futuristic term for cushion :p but this could be used for both amphibious vehicles, with [X] defining their roles .. (Hovercrafts are also known as ACV, so that could be an option..)

I think given that saps are kind of at a modern day tech level, that this makes the most sense. A Google search hasn't yielded much in the field of advanced hovercraft design for me. I feel like a jet engine retropulsion type system could maybe be used - incredibly inefficiently :p but we could consider that..

Or you could go all Marauder naming wise and give it a name that defines its battlefield role. I think for the community to give suggestions there we would need some hints about what the units are Gonna be like, specifically

Lastly, for maybe some amount of SvT hate, I think this unit could be interesting:
Sunburst
GH
Cost 650
Can capture bases
Mobility 6
Vision 3
GL 4
GH 4
Air 4
Aq 6
Range 2-3
Def 4
Repair rate 1

Fire: units attacked by this unit are set on fire. (Works like plague, but spreads to all races, friendly and enemy units, healed by medic tiles or engineer class units).

---- Khral names

They're really fun. They match the physical look or function of the units. Underlings burrow. Pinzers have pincer claws. Wyrms look like worms. Leviathans are huge sea creatures.

So I think hammering out what the units will do will be a huge help in naming them, because then we can try to picture what the unit should look like.

I think a spider of some sort would fit great into the Khral. And I believe a lot of spiders can walk on water ... So that might be a good place to start.

Someone earlier had mentioned salamanders. I think that could be a great name and fits a specific visual.

A Roach unit also seems like a solid choice. Harkens to Starcraft, has a clear expected role, and yeah :p while buried, maybe the roach can attack units standing on top of it, or standing adjacent to them only if they're not covered? That would make them a very interesting unit - similar to those darn burying roaches in BW.

I just saw this ability I had laying around:

Special ability: *Boarding party: convert an adjacent sea based unit that has exactly one health remaining. Can not convert leviathans though, because ummmmm. Well, reasons. Like they're a giant dinosaur who will eat you. That sorta thing.

I think that would work great on a Titan or Khral naval unit ... Maybe even saps but if the destroyer is remaining the king of the seas maybe not but yeah. That's an ability that would give people the opportunity to really consider how they want to assign damage in a naval engagement. And stealing a 1 HP vessel has the potential to either be a huge win or not very meaningful .... Dunno. Maybe it's too strong but seemed like the coding might already exist so wanted to throw that in the mix...

That's REALLY all I've got for now I'll keep thinking

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 28, 2016 13:24

[Avatar]
Lunatyk

[Avatar]
Lunatyk

I just thought of a great idea
PS: I know that new special abilities will not be considered, but I wanted to share this idea since there will be 2 new amphibious for each race
What about a unit that can dive under water like the ability of the underling to burrow, and can transport units on top of her like a moving plateform to take them in water terrain.
This ability won't be overpowered because the transported unit movements will be limited to the movements of the plateform. For example, a marrauder on top of it can attack 2 times, or heal 2 times, but he won't be able to move since only the plateform can move him.
And maybe, it shouldn't be able to transport tanks and artillery units. Or maybe lose 1 (10 turns) or 2 health (5 turns) each turn if it transport them, so they will sink if they stay too much on water.
This will give a lot more strategic gameplay and diversity on water maps.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 08, 2016 14:47

[Avatar]
japhib

[Avatar]
japhib

I agree that if Sapiens were to be given a cheap tank-busting unit that could even more easily fight speeders and plasma tanks, the balance of SvT would be thrown completely in favor of Sapiens. I don't think it's a good option.

Instead, the sniper/commando seems to fill the same tactical niche without ruining the matchup completely. A GL unit that could cloak and would have a range of 2 could sneak up to the Titan tank line without dying to walker fire, and either snipe or heavily damage both walkers and assimilators. This would just continue and make more interesting the Sapiens' current strategy against Titans, which seems to be outmaneuvering them so they can't get or protect a walker.

This would also be beneficial against Khraleans and give interesting counter play against infectors, pinzers, and swarmers, all of whom are the current bane against marines.

Since he's a sniper and not just a juiced up marine, he needs to have range of 2 and not 1-2 because if anyone gets close enough to his position, he's toast. Although maybe he should have a very low anti-air attack because otherwise he could tip the balance of SvS by being too hard of a counter against helicopters. Idk what the best option is but it might be nice for Saps to be able to poke (for just 1 damage) at helicopters from 2 range but definitely no higher damage than that. Maybe be able to trade evenly with Swarmer.

Because he's a counter to a high value target like walkers and the medical unit of each race, he should be more expensive than the grunt of each race. Because he's probably going to die a lot because of uncloaking near the enemy front line to attack his targets, he shouldn't be too expensive. I'd suggest maybe 250.

[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

japhib wrote:I agree that if Sapiens were to be given a cheap tank-busting unit that could even more easily fight speeders and plasma tanks, the balance of SvT would be thrown completely in favor of Sapiens. I don't think it's a good option.

Instead, the sniper/commando seems to fill the same tactical niche without ruining the matchup completely. A GL unit that could cloak and would have a range of 2 could sneak up to the Titan tank line without dying to walker fire, and either snipe or heavily damage both walkers and assimilators. This would just continue and make more interesting the Sapiens' current strategy against Titans, which seems to be outmaneuvering them so they can't get or protect a walker.

This would also be beneficial against Khraleans and give interesting counter play against infectors, pinzers, and swarmers, all of whom are the current bane against marines.

Since he's a sniper and not just a juiced up marine, he needs to have range of 2 and not 1-2 because if anyone gets close enough to his position, he's toast. Although maybe he should have a very low anti-air attack because otherwise he could tip the balance of SvS by being too hard of a counter against helicopters. Idk what the best option is but it might be nice for Saps to be able to poke (for just 1 damage) at helicopters from 2 range but definitely no higher damage than that. Maybe be able to trade evenly with Swarmer.

Because he's a counter to a high value target like walkers and the medical unit of each race, he should be more expensive than the grunt of each race. Because he's probably going to die a lot because of uncloaking near the enemy front line to attack his targets, he shouldn't be too expensive. I'd suggest maybe 250.

imo, sniper would go even more, like 300-400. it would be able to shoot at melee, but real expensive. that way snipers wouldn't be spammed too much

Never surrender when you still have the chance.
"I have achieved navel superiority" -myself 2017
All the good stuff [WoT Generals Beta Tester, Uniwar Beta Tester, Vainglory Hero Suggestions List Contributor]
Come look at my profile for more info
[Avatar]
japhib

[Avatar]
japhib

Good point, cloaking ability and 2 range is pretty valuable.

What would you guys think of another GL unit for Titans as well? On small maps that have a lot of forest and mountains, TvS is a bit of a nightmare for Titans because mechas, the only ones getting the same bonus as Marines on forest/mountain, can get easily stolen by cheap Engineers. Titan's other normal combat units, speeder and plasma, get a huge defense penalty on forest tiles and can't go on mountains. On top of that, plasmas are REALLY expensive.

The GL unit for Titans I have in mind could have a special ability like a radiation bomb that poisons enemy Saps and Khrals with radiation, which would be like the plague. This could either be a special ability like the Infector's plague, or it could automatically apply the radiation to any unit it attacks. Cost 250-300, stats otherwise similar to mecha, maybe a tiny bit stronger.

This ability would give counterplay against Sapiens and Khrals who have a strong tank or Pinzer line, which normally are almost unbreakable early-mid game against a walker-less Titan player because of their 2 repair rate vs plasma tanks' 1. In conjunction with Titan's teleport ability, this could also be really nice with teleporting behind a tank line and inflict some damage on artillery and medical units.

Overall it would also be nice for Titans to have more low-cost options for early in the game or for maps where you only get 200 credits per turn.

Sims mentioned area of effect damage and while that would be cool, I think we already have this cool plague mechanic that is a bit underused and gives AOE damage without requiring a lot of new logic for Xavi to program in.
[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

japhib wrote:Good point, cloaking ability and 2 range is pretty valuable.

What would you guys think of another GL unit for Titans as well? On small maps that have a lot of forest and mountains, TvS is a bit of a nightmare for Titans because mechas, the only ones getting the same bonus as Marines on forest/mountain, can get easily stolen by cheap Engineers. Titan's other normal combat units, speeder and plasma, get a huge defense penalty on forest tiles and can't go on mountains. On top of that, plasmas are REALLY expensive.

The GL unit for Titans I have in mind could have a special ability like a radiation bomb that poisons enemy Saps and Khrals with radiation, which would be like the plague. This could either be a special ability like the Infector's plague, or it could automatically apply the radiation to any unit it attacks. Cost 250-300, stats otherwise similar to mecha, maybe a tiny bit stronger.

This ability would give counterplay against Sapiens and Khrals who have a strong tank or Pinzer line, which normally are almost unbreakable early-mid game against a walker-less Titan player because of their 2 repair rate vs plasma tanks' 1. In conjunction with Titan's teleport ability, this could also be really nice with teleporting behind a tank line and inflict some damage on artillery and medical units.

Overall it would also be nice for Titans to have more low-cost options for early in the game or for maps where you only get 200 credits per turn.

Sims mentioned area of effect damage and while that would be cool, I think we already have this cool plague mechanic that is a bit underused and gives AOE damage without requiring a lot of new logic for Xavi to program in.

no, prolonged titan wall still beats all, the only problem titans have is their pricey production cost, which is a problem on small, low income maps

All the good stuff [WoT Generals Beta Tester, Uniwar Beta Tester, Vainglory Hero Suggestions List Contributor]
[Avatar]
japhib

[Avatar]
japhib

Exactly my point ... When you get 200 credits a turn, to make 2 tanks and a walker it takes (500 + 500 + 750)/200 = 9 turns. Longer if you've fiddled around with speeders and mechas before going for the big stuff.

On the other hand, for a Sapiens to make 3 marines + engineer + battery on the same map it takes (3 * 100 + 200 + 650)/200 = 6 turns. That's 3 turns of them bombarding you before you can really do anything ... And after that, if their engineer gets close enough, it can EMP your plasmas and make them useless for a whole 'nother turn. Another very common strategy is for Saps to make a line of tanks against the line of plasma tanks, and since their repair rate is higher, especially if they have an engineer, the wall is nigh unbreakable, and a heck of a lot cheaper than the same width of wall from Titans. That is, for every 2 Titan plasmas there are, the Sapiens can get 2 tanks and an engineer. With that engineer, the Sapiens can make their tanks almost invincible, AND have an EMP to disable the plasmas for a turn, giving them a bunch of free damage. A plague that could damage those tanks 1 per turn would make this easier on Titans. It might not be the fix-all end-all, but at least Titans would have options when they're strapped for cash.

This is the map I'm talking about if you want to have a look.

Maybe it's just an unbalanced map for Titans. But if they had some other unit that
a) was relatively cheap
b) couldn't get stolen by engineers
c) could fight decently on forest tiles,
it opens up tons of maps like this one for the opportunity to be balanced.

Right now, Titans' win condition is a walker, and a line of plasma tanks. Saps' & Khrals' strategies revolve around stopping Titans from getting to that point. My point is that on some maps, it's just way too easy to stop Titans from amassing that much money because the amount of money per turn is so low. Titans need some other, cheaper units to deal damage, prevent harassment, and do some harassment of their own so that their win condition is more plausible.

On top of that, it's boring to have so many turns on a small map where you just hit "next turn" and don't do anything because your mechas will only get stolen by engineers, so you just have to wait for 300 more credits for a plasma tank.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Sep 12, 2016 21:47

[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

my idea for sapien gl:

Unit idea: Commando

Cost: 350
Mobility: 11
Vision: 5
Type: Ground Light

Attack:

Ground Light: 8
Ground Heavy: 5
Aerial: 5
Aquatic: 5

Attack Range: 1-2

Defense: 8

Capture Base: Yes
Attack After Move: Yes
Repair: +1
Action/Turn: 1
Special Ability: Camouflage, Spoils

Standard ground light terrain mod

This unit can shoot from afar and able to evade fire & infiltrate behind enemy lines through camouflage. It will stay after capuring a base and is durable and fast, perfect to go toe to toe against any opposition, however, it's quite expensive to operate and has low repair rate.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 13, 2016 01:04

[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

japhib wrote:Exactly my point ... When you get 200 credits a turn, to make 2 tanks and a walker it takes (500 + 500 + 750)/200 = 9 turns. Longer if you've fiddled around with speeders and mechas before going for the big stuff.

On the other hand, for a Sapiens to make 3 marines + engineer + battery on the same map it takes (3 * 100 + 200 + 650)/200 = 6 turns. That's 3 turns of them bombarding you before you can really do anything ... And after that, if their engineer gets close enough, it can EMP your plasmas and make them useless for a whole 'nother turn. Another very common strategy is for Saps to make a line of tanks against the line of plasma tanks, and since their repair rate is higher, especially if they have an engineer, the wall is nigh unbreakable, and a heck of a lot cheaper than the same width of wall from Titans. That is, for every 2 Titan plasmas there are, the Sapiens can get 2 tanks and an engineer. With that engineer, the Sapiens can make their tanks almost invincible, AND have an EMP to disable the plasmas for a turn, giving them a bunch of free damage. A plague that could damage those tanks 1 per turn would make this easier on Titans. It might not be the fix-all end-all, but at least Titans would have options when they're strapped for cash.

This is the map I'm talking about if you want to have a look.

Maybe it's just an unbalanced map for Titans. But if they had some other unit that
a) was relatively cheap
b) couldn't get stolen by engineers
c) could fight decently on forest tiles,
it opens up tons of maps like this one for the opportunity to be balanced.

Right now, Titans' win condition is a walker, and a line of plasma tanks. Saps' & Khrals' strategies revolve around stopping Titans from getting to that point. My point is that on some maps, it's just way too easy to stop Titans from amassing that much money because the amount of money per turn is so low. Titans need some other, cheaper units to deal damage, prevent harassment, and do some harassment of their own so that their win condition is more plausible.

On top of that, it's boring to have so many turns on a small map where you just hit "next turn" and don't do anything because your mechas will only get stolen by engineers, so you just have to wait for 300 more credits for a plasma tank.

no, plasmas can obliterate through anything in numbers, they're durable enough to survive lethal blows and retreat for repairs. All they need is another gl to make up for expenses

[Avatar]
japhib

[Avatar]
japhib

LkASr wrote:no, plasmas can obliterate through anything in numbers, they're durable enough to survive lethal blows and retreat for repairs. All they need is another gl to make up for expenses.

That's what I'm saying, a cool new GL for Titans to fill in the money gap and get work done on the map before you can afford a plasma.

I like your Commando idea a lot, the idea of them being able to capture a base and stay is really interesting. The added mobility would be really nice too. But, 8 defense, higher than 7 of a marauder? Not sure about that ... A marauder should be able to kill one fairly easily that it catches camouflaged. Commando would be 5/8 vs 8/7 marauder, I feel like they should be a bit more fragile than that in order to be balanced.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 12, 2016 22:54

[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

japhib wrote:
  LkASr wrote:no, plasmas can obliterate through anything in numbers, they're durable enough to survive lethal blows and retreat for repairs. All they need is another gl to make up for expenses.

That's what I'm saying, a cool new GL for Titans to fill in the money gap and get work done on the map before you can afford a plasma.

I like your Commando idea a lot, the idea of them being able to capture a base and stay is really interesting. The added mobility would be really nice too. But, 8 defense, higher than 7 of a marauder? Not sure about that ... A marauder should be able to kill one fairly easily that it catches camouflaged. Commando would be 5/8 vs 8/7 marauder, I feel like they should be a bit more fragile than that in order to be balanced.

well, it is more expensive and it has low repair rate compairing to marauder (-250; +2 > -350; +1)
I think that could be balanced fairly well especially because they could be damaged by gh when camouflaged (buried).

OGKush

OGKush

I like some of the ideas in there.
My opinion concerning saps:

They need an anti GH unit and a mid range unit.
The idea of the ghost is pretty amazing, but let's be honest, snipers setting tanks on fire isn't realistic. Also I personally don't like the idea of having 2 exact same abilities named differently. Maybe ghost could attack while cloaked, or ignore enemy zone control (just like they were EMPed).

The idea of heavy commando mentioned earlier is interesting, some kind of anti GH unit.. I would just like to give an idea for it. Some of you may know about these special hunting bullets that shred into meat and get larger as they go deeper. Maybe it could be adapted here and get increasing damage when enemy has more health (anti hero unit too somehow).

Another good idea is the bomber, nothing new but this unit with something like 2 range and 9 movement would just do it fine.

About khrals:

This amphibious unit, salamander, crocodile, looks good. The idea of giving it reinforced stats in swamps is also great.

But as said before, if we need some more AA this unit may not totally fit in. What about a spinelisk (or just hydralisk), dealing high GL and AA damage from like 2 range. Some kind of squishy eclipse.

About tits:

I honestly am not amazed by the style of this race (protoss op right?) but got used to it. And now there is a unit that could fit in. A support unit, rather expensive that would passively mitigate/neglect all ranged attacks directed on its neighbors allies. Some kind of guardian shield. The unit would also move, or heal its neighbors by 1 hp. I first thought of this unit for saps, but they need more important things now.

I don't think saps need another navy unit. Destroyer is an allrounder and I feel like adding one more would feel wrong.

Khrals could use of a new water unit, either amphibious or long ranged low damage, either way, able to apply armor reduction to their target.

Tits could sure be good with a new sea unit, some kind of punchbag, but I feel like it would be difficult to balance.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 15, 2016 04:07

[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

OGKush wrote:I like some of the ideas in there.
My opinion concerning saps:

They need an anti GH unit and a mid range unit.
The idea of the ghost is pretty amazing, but let's be honest, snipers setting tanks on fire isn't realistic. Also I personally don't like the idea of having 2 exact same abilities named differently. Maybe ghost could attack while cloaked, or ignore enemy zone control (just like they were EMPed).

The idea of heavy commando mentioned earlier is interesting, some kind of anti GH unit.. I would just like to give an idea for it. Some of you may know about these special hunting bullets that shred into meat and get larger as they go deeper. Maybe it could be adapted here and get increasing damage when enemy has more health (anti hero unit too somehow).

Another good idea is the bomber, nothing new but this unit with something like 2 range and 9 movement would just do it fine.

About khrals:

This amphibious unit, salamander, crocodile, looks good. The idea of giving it reinforced stats in swamps is also great.

But as said before, if we need some more AA this unit may not totally fit in. What about a spinelisk (or just hydralisk), dealing high GL and AA damage from like 2 range. Some kind of squishy eclipse.

About tits:

I honestly am not amazed by the style of this race (protoss op right?) but got used to it. And now there is a unit that could fit in. A support unit, rather expensive that would passively mitigate/neglect all ranged attacks directed on its neighbors allies. Some kind of guardian shield. The unit would also move, or heal its neighbors by 1 hp. I first thought of this unit for saps, but they need more important things now.

I don't think saps need another navy unit. Destroyer is an allrounder and I feel like adding one more would feel wrong.

Khrals could use of a new water unit, either amphibious or long ranged low damage, either way, able to apply armor reduction to their target.

Tits could sure be good with a new sea unit, some kind of punchbag, but I feel like it would be difficult to balance.

What my view of unit weaknesses:

Sapiens: Their somewhat lack of heavy firepower, they have difficulties dealing with the Titan wall.

My suggestions: All the saps need is an anti Walker spam unit with good gangup support, the Titan wall is actually not that difficult to deal with, it's just they lack the right unit to do so. My commando idea fits the role for the job.

further reply is below this one

[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

Titans: Their units are great, but they're just so expensive and they just don't have enough firepower and time to defend against tank/pinzer spam on low income maps.

My suggestion: A unit that can make up the pricy weakness, basically a unit that has the speed and firepower, in the middle of Speeder and Plasma Tank

Khraleans: They can zerg the field pretty quick, but their aerial prowess is also their weakness against the other 2 and their pinzer isn't able to protect them at all times becuase it's as slow as any 2 tile mobility unit.

My suggestion: Another tanky enough unit that can cover their aerial weakness and can go toe to toe against other aerials in numbers.

So far, I suggested the Commando, a light tank unit, and a harrassing unit.

That's my suggestion for now

OGKush

OGKush

I don't think giving a price to these new units is a good idea. Free to play is great. Pay to win is hated and is a great way to have all the casual players leaving the game.
Forum Index » New Feature Request