[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
UniWar 2 Suggestions
Forum Index » New Feature Request
Anonymous

Anonymous
To add to what I was saying, I think one way to go might be to have larger maps where you can set up multiple units under fog of war before the game begins.

Right now on most maps you have maybe one to three moves before the opponent gets over there to see what you're up to; I'd like the ability for each side to build up a bit, maybe five or six turn's worth, before the action even begins. The caveat would be you couldn't move units, only place them (kind of in a tower defense style.)

This would lead to a lot more possible strategies, and would be good for the game's longevity.
[Avatar]
IzzyNobre

[Avatar]
IzzyNobre

* Give the engineer/assimilator/infector the ability to build stationary turrets which you can use to guard your territories;
* More naval and flying units;
* The ability to choose your color;
* Bigger maps.
[Avatar]
mager567

[Avatar]
mager567

built-in/ downloadable level editor. for the downloadable one: i was thinking that it could give you a code that would allow you to play the custom map on the iphone

either case, you could probably only use them for hot-seat games, but who cares

if you want to register a complaint, click here
[Avatar]
sandymac

[Avatar]
sandymac

I'd like to see a perk system. Each player could select or be randomly assigned a perk at the start of a match. I think this could go a long way to prevent maps from being solved under some starting conditions.

Perks I can think of:
* 7% interest income on your credit balance
* 4% Build discount on new units
* Double experience earning (increases rate at which your units rank up) or
* Veteran Units (units are built ranked up but with 10 health but cannot earn experience to rank up more)
* Movement accumulator (for each turn a unit doesn't move or heal they get +1 added to their movement rating when they do decide to move)
* Flare (removes fog of war at the end of a turn (to prevent teleport cheating and give the opponent a chance to mix things up) probably needs a 4 turn cool down period)
* Blind Fire (ability to attack a spot still obscured by fog of war, would most affect ships)
* Toxic bases (makes your bases deal two units of damage each turn an opponent camps on them.) (this would prevent your opponent from camping their way to victory)
* Health transfer (lets any two adjacent units average their health between them. eg: a unit with 10 health and a unit with 1 health could average their health so they both have 5 health.)
* Martyrdom (when a unit it is destroyed it deals 1 unit damage to all adjacent units friend or foe)
* Double shot (units can make the exact same attack twice in a turn but will have to cool down the next turn)
* Airstrike (deals 2 units of damage in a wide radius to friends or foes at a spot 2 turns from now and your opponent knows where that spot will be) (this could interrupt standoff situations)
* Neutron Pulse (For a 7 unit radius around a player's base this kills all ground light units and disassociates all heavy, aerial, or aquatic units from any team. The disabled units can then be recaptured by moving a ground light unit into it or attacked without worry of a counter attack. Each base can only do this once and it takes 2 turns to charge up. During that time the base cannot build units and it wouldn't be smart if the player left the base covered. Other players will be notified a neutron pulse is coming but not which base will be. An opponent that starts a capture could prevent the neutron pulse from happening.)

I'm sure there are others but that should be enough to get people thinking about some ideas. If you include perks please make me a beta tester.

This message was edited 11 times. Last update was at Oct 16, 2009 08:15

elsoybean

elsoybean

sandymac wrote: I'd like to see a perk system. Each player could select or be randomly assigned a perk at the start of a match. I think this could go a long way to prevent maps from being solved under some starting conditions.

I think that's the best idea in here so far; the random element would really mix up the games and prevent matches where one player has clearly "solved" the map.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 16, 2009 07:26

newuser

newuser

Toxic bases (makes your bases deal two units of damage each turn an opponent camps on them.) (this would prevent your opponent from camping their way to victory)

Toxic bases are a great idea. It's realistic (insurgencies etc) and prevents a game spoiler.
NatSelection

NatSelection

Don't tie credit income to base control!!! Base control is a desirable task in and of itself. On a linear map you couldn't sustain your army at your opponents end if you don't have a way to produce new units closer to the front line. You don't have to tie credit income to base control - thereby eliminating entirely the inflated importance of a single base. Bases offer strategic options by allowing the player to produce units at a new location. You don't need to compound the advantage of a player who captures a base by increasing the number of units they can produce.

Don't tie credit income to base control! Don't do it! Just try playing without it and see how it changes the game-play. I bet you'll find that players are still motivated to take bases in order to stop their opponent from producing units, and so that they can reinforce their own position.

Add new naval units and aerial units to balance out the unit types (so that naval wont dominate all, and aerial dominate ground).

Don't tie credit income to base control!

Also, to steal sandymac's idea:

Toxic bases (makes your bases deal two units of damage each turn an opponent camps on them.) (this would prevent your opponent from camping their way to victory)

Although I must say, random or even selected perks sound like one of the most awful ideas for Uniwars I've ever seen. Aside from being a nightmare to balance, why give one player an advantage for doing nothing? How about we leave the advantage to players that utilize their units and tactics correctly, instead of giving an advantage to players who roll a natural 20 on their initiative. To sandymac's credit, "toxic bases" is a fantastic idea.

Adding special abilities to more units would be a nice touch, but most importantly...

Add more aerial and naval units to diversify strategy and dismantle the current "Naval > Air > Ground" imbalance, and...

Please! Don't tie credit income to base control! Credit income is a good function. Different maps can set different credit income to dictate the pace and breadth of the battle, but tying credit income to base control is what causes most games to be determined in the first few turns.

Don't do it!

Please...

You could also fix this for Uniwars 1 Just take the total income of each map and divide by the number of suggested players and untie it from bases controlled. Done
newuser

newuser

I'd like to see a section of experimental maps (submitted by users) where users can play unrated regular and team games. The most popular ones can became full rated maps in future updates.
[Avatar]
sandymac

[Avatar]
sandymac

To continue my perks suggestions I've seen other console games with negative perks which are there for bragging rights. Some players would enjoy boasting about beating someone with a reduced starting health or a reduction of income.
NatSelection

NatSelection

Sandymac, do you not agree that very quickly the best perk/race combos will be determined and instead of the seemingly interesting system you have proposed, we would just have a patch that gave a flat bonus to each race? The only way to avoid having 1 (or 1 per race) ultimate perk would be to balance them extensively. Wouldn't you rather have more units and tactics rather than a set of arbitrary bonuses? Most perk systems fail because 1-3 of the perks are objectively better than all of the others. It isn't intentional, but to avoid having this flaw, the perk system would need to go through extensive testing for each race itself as well as each race v race match-up. So either you'd get a flawed set of perks, or they'd have to devote a great amount of resources (time and energy) into balancing the perk system. Why not spend that time and energy making more units and unit abilities which can be used by all players (of that particular race).

Especially considering we're talking about a strategy game here, and not WoW, CoD4, or Battlefield. The perk system would be cute and a bit trendy, but overall I think they devs could develop much more strategically deep game if they spent their time developing the sea and aerial units necessary to round out those unit classes, instead of on perks.

As far as negative perks, who is the audience. If the main motivation for negative perks is bragging rights, wouldn't you need somebody to view your bragging? Would that come across through bonus rank points for winning? Maybe if you play your friends a lot that could be fun, or a great way to lose friends, but most of my opponents are random people and I suspect that this is true for the majority of Uniwar players. Unless I'm beating Alon with negative perks, I doubt anyone is going to care, and if I don't know my opponents skill level walking into the match, I certainly wouldn't hamstring myself before the battle even began. Maybe that's just me. If so, all players willing to hamstring their forces before battle please send me an invite so we can play - thanks.
[Avatar]
sandymac

[Avatar]
sandymac

@NatSelection: your profile shows you've only played 21 games of uniwar. Go play several hundred games and then come back and share your thoughts.

And yes "very best" perks will will be found but that is no different that the fact that currently sometimes one races is the very best for a map. This can be made a non-issue by simply designing the game data so each map has a list of banned perks in ranked matches because they are too powerful. Over time these lists can be tweaked much like past tweaks.

Lighten up, this is a thread about new feature ideas. Take an idea and think of how it could be made to work and share that instead of being all negative.
NatSelection

NatSelection

@NatSelection: your profile shows you've only played 21 games of uniwar. Go play several hundred games and then come back and share your thoughts.

If you think my reasoning is flawed, I'd love to hear why. However, the number of games I've played is irrelevant when our topic is so blatantly obvious or conceptual.

If you think the number of games I've played is relevant, please demonstrate your expertise by explaining why my game reasoning is flawed.

You are correct, however, that I shouldn't have been so harsh or even critical about your idea. I regret doing so because really I'd love to see the credit/base issue addressed. Perhaps your hundreds of games worth of experience can shed some light on how less credits per base -> less predictable games, but income disconnected from base control is not a better step forward.

As far as your instructions to me:

Lighten up, this is a thread about new feature ideas. Take an idea and think of how it could be made to work and share that instead of being all negative.

That is exactly what I did. I took your idea, showed how it could be made to work (avoid it, for reasons given), and I shared that with the rest of the forum. I didn't intend to step on your baby or have you take it so personally. I did mention that I loved your idea about "toxic bases."

"toxic bases" is a fantastic idea.

Which I'm really surprised wasn't implemented already in some form (because it is such a great idea). So don't get so upset, sandymac. I'm not trying to break your heart. I'm just trying to think critically about a strategy game.

Don't worry though, I can change. I'll start by not giving my opinion of this:

And yes "very best" perks will will be found but that is no different that the fact that currently sometimes one races is the very best for a map. This can be made a non-issue by simply designing the game data so each map has a list of banned perks in ranked matches because they are too powerful. Over time these lists can be tweaked much like past tweaks.

Can I get a gold karma star now, sandymac? Positive reinforcement is the quickest way to create change in your target subject.

Edit: I find it strange that all of a sudden every individual post I have made in every forum received a single one star rating. Real mature. You at least could have posted a reply with your opinions about the ideas expressed in those posts (that assumes you even read them).

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 22, 2009 12:46

vapor

vapor

Super Jew! wrote: -Traps.
-Units heal more when on their bases.
-A unit with the ability to heal even when other actions are performed.
-Upgrades to be researched at bases.
-Upgradable bases.
-Units that make nearby friendly units stronger.
-Units that can attack multiple nearby spaces.
-Units that attack multiple spaces in a line.
-Units that don't get blocked by nearby enemy units (give this to the Titans who have no flyers ).
-Units that can harvest some sort of resource.
-A discount for the first few days the game comes out as a special gift to all of us who visit the forums.

I like the idea of having upgradeable bases too, really having upgradeable anything!

What about having a "hero" unit that you can level up, (similar to most RTSRPG's like DOTA, HoN, and Demigod) and maybe three different choices of hero units per race one high attack/mid armor, one ranged high attack/low armor, and one low attack/high armor? These heros you should be able to level up with different abilities, etc....

I'm all about being able to upgrade stuff, I think Uniwar could very easily become the best iPhone game if you make it a strategyRPG, that would be SICK!
[Avatar]
mager567

[Avatar]
mager567

vapor wrote:
  Super Jew! wrote: -Traps.
-Units heal more when on their bases.
-A unit with the ability to heal even when other actions are performed.
-Upgrades to be researched at bases.
-Upgradable bases.
-Units that make nearby friendly units stronger.
-Units that can attack multiple nearby spaces.
-Units that attack multiple spaces in a line.
-Units that don't get blocked by nearby enemy units (give this to the Titans who have no flyers ).
-Units that can harvest some sort of resource.
-A discount for the first few days the game comes out as a special gift to all of us who visit the forums.

I like the idea of having upgradeable bases too, really having upgradeable anything!

What about having a "hero" unit that you can level up, (similar to most RTSRPG's like DOTA, HoN, and Demigod) and maybe three different choices of hero units per race one high attack/mid armor, one ranged high attack/low armor, and one low attack/high armor? These heros you should be able to level up with different abilities, etc....

I'm all about being able to upgrade stuff, I think Uniwar could very easily become the best iPhone game if you make it a strategyRPG, that would be SICK!

Yeah, it could work, but would it really fit? It seems that a few of these ideas would make the game even more complex, but without adding much to it.

If we do use "commander units", i would like to ape Advance Wars: Days of Ruins method where you just attach the CO to a unit, making it insanely buff and adding 75% to the unit's cost. Simple, easy to grasp, hard to exploit. if we wanted to make COs more effective, we could add a "buff" zone. units in the zone gain benefits to attack and defense. again, simple, effective, hard to exploit.

My main concern with a level-upable hero unit is that it might become too effective. Then games would be all about grindfests rather than tactics.

I LOVE the idea of picking a specialty. combine it with the CO idea above and we get some interesting things. An attack CO unit could make all units in its CO zone attack as if they had a +1 gangup, at the expense of minus one defense. A defence could have the opposite effect in its CO zone, +1 defence, minus one attack. Each species should probably have a "special" commander and a generic one (one with no bonuses).

'course, we'd have to extend the campaign to teach peeps how to use this.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 23, 2009 12:12

if you want to register a complaint, click here
llvv

llvv

I would love to see a built-in level editor. If it is not possible, I think at least the game should allow maps being downloadable and played without going though official release. That would make playtesting easier, and the quality of the maps would definitely go up.
Thanks . Can't wait for the next release!
Forum Index » New Feature Request