[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
New race idea (Phasing Race) *updated 2/25
Forum Index » New Feature Request
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

I feel like I need to go unit by unit and determine common damages they would take, and then decide if those values fit what I would want for these units to sustain with the shields in mind

This is a huge change, but a race with shields would really stand out... I like the idea
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

Firstly, the Shields I like. They give a lot of flavor to this race. Secondly, I'm not sure if Shields replace health or not. Giving everyone an over shield without raising costs might start balance problems. Lastly, I think every race should have 1 100 cost infantry.
[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

Apercent wrote:Firstly, the Shields I like. They give a lot of flavor to this race. Secondly, I'm not sure if Shields replace health or not. Giving everyone an over shield without raising costs might start balance problems. Lastly, I think every race should have 1 100 cost infantry.

you gotta remember that Phaser units can't heal on their own without the Motherships

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 01, 2016 02:49

Never surrender when you still have the chance.
"I have achieved navel superiority" -myself 2017
All the good stuff [WoT Generals Beta Tester, Uniwar Beta Tester, Vainglory Hero Suggestions List Contributor]
Come look at my profile for more info
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

LkASr wrote:
  Apercent wrote:Firstly, the Shields I like. They give a lot of flavor to this race. Secondly, I'm not sure if Shields replace health or not. Giving everyone an over shield without raising costs might start balance problems. Lastly, I think every race should have 1 100 cost infantry.

you gotta remember that Phaser units can't heal on their own without the Motherships

I actually took that ability away entirely.

Shields will heal automatically at the start of your turn, at a rate specific to each unit, and doubled if adjacent to a mothership.

To adjust for this added durability, I lowered defense values across the board. The defense value will need to be perfect to make this balanced
[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

tho, it'd make Phasers really unique with the no repair without mothership

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 01, 2016 04:04

All the good stuff [WoT Generals Beta Tester, Uniwar Beta Tester, Vainglory Hero Suggestions List Contributor]
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

LkASr wrote:tho, it'd make Phasers really unique with the no repair without mothership

they can't repair their health at all

Their shields will automatically repair at the start of the turn.

So that is definitively a unique mechanic ?
amidama

amidama

Shields will heal automatically at the start of your turn, at a rate specific to each unit, and doubled if adjacent to a mothership.
--- it basicly mean repair *2, actions per turn *2, starting health *2 for no additional cost.

its a cool thing, but it should not be that cheap...

Hakumen
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

Lol wraiths will be torn to shreds by speeders. But I think the defense matches shielding. Now I've got to give my convergence a unique mechanic, otherwise we'll seem stupid. What do you think about the ability to heal and attack in the same turn?
amidama

amidama

its basicly a 2 actions per turn and should be treated the same way as marauder differs from speeder.

Hakumen
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

amidama wrote:its basicly a 2 actions per turn and should be treated the same way as marauder differs from speeder.

I see what you're saying.

I think there are a lot of ways to balance a "shield"

First, it could be a much smaller shield, like 1-4 hp.

Second, it could be as I have it, where the defense value is decreased to compensate for larger shields

The shields auto recharging is a big buff..... But say you are able to deal 5 damage to a unit, so you've halved its attack values moving forward, and it can NEVER get that back unlike other races.

So, the shields will regen.... But the attack power is gone forever.

Alternatively we could go with option 1 and let the mothership allow healing as before

Or option 3: get rid of shields. That's not out of the question by any means.

I kind of like the middle option with the regenning shields and lower defense, but it hurts my head to consider the balancing for it too... So I dunno.
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

I think the middle option sounds good. If you don't want to balance it today, then just do it when ever you feel like it. We aren't going to lynch you if you dont do em in a timely manner.
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

And this is just my noob opinion, but it sounds like the defense might come out too low. I can bring of these to their knees with 2 shots from a wyrm.
[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

I'd just suggest that shields should either be:

1. Repaired at a much faster rate, if it the unit has full Hp, but removing the shield regen feature.

or

2. Repairable at any time, but at a slower rate than option 1 and also removing the regen feature.

amidama

amidama

my solution:
shield can be repaired normally as HP, not automatically
Hull cant be repaired at all, engineer or healings pads cant ever heal it.

what it will do: units will be basicly 2-3 times stronger (because enemy will attack, receive a counter attack, enemys hp will become lower, but your hull hp stays the same. enemy can attack again, but with weaker force.)
price should be *2 for such units if shield is 10 units and is affected by the defence. such units should have other drawnbacks as slower mobility or less types of attack
increase the repair rate to 2 for the shield for most units. (so 4-6 with engineer)

but infantry with cost of 200 isnt going to work on many bases basic infantry should always cost 100 because too many maps rely on it.
so i would recommend to do a shield of 4-6 units, and iehter a faster repair of a shield or a reduced damage to something.

try to remember the SC1 - zealots had a huge shield that made them very powerful, and they could fix it at faster rate near the recharge facility, but they could not heal at all, whatsoever.

my example of shielded infantry:
100 cost 10 hp 6 shield 1 action 4 FoW 2 repair (for shield only) 1 range 4 def (def represent that shield lowers other defences, but it still not allows a one turn kill for a marauder. as zealot has 0 def for a shield)
GL 4 GH 2 AIR 1 AQ 2 and a special ability of your selection (equvalent of a teleport or bury or alike)

Hakumen
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

I think that you should just raise the defense a bit.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 03, 2016 11:19

Forum Index » New Feature Request