[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
New race idea (Phasing Race) *updated 2/25
Forum Index » New Feature Request
amidama

amidama

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 17, 2016 22:30

Hakumen
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

amidama wrote:def instead of defence? yep, that may work, but i thought duaneski wants it by any cost
if you want a defence instead of armor, just do the same def as mech or marine has (5-6)

I like the thoughts in your previous post. I think that is a very good idea, having the shields be rechargeable but not automatically.

I was definitely thinking of Starcraft. Like the archon with its 355 shield and 1 hp :p

Problem is that this game uses HP as a basis for attack strength and SC didn't ofc.

SC also had auto regenerating shields. Buuuut in the heat of battle that wouldn't matter so much there....

I hadn't really considered the implication of a shield meaning that this unit stays at full health longer and dishes out more damage longer on defense. That is definitely note worthy !

This change would definitely move this race to be a very ... All or nothing kind of thing but think I like it.

I do want to adjust defense values downward instead of straight up doubling costs though... I don't think that it would be playable with flat out doubled costs. When I get w chance I'll try to update the units, costs etc with new values representing these recommendations.... Work has been very busy though so probably not until next week
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

What I'm saying about the defense is that it's going to be impossible to win with the defense they have. The highest defense is less than a garuda. Just imagine that. This means that they will be absolutely destroyed whenever a plasma tank feels like he wants to kill today.

I think that having them heal over shields might be a good idea.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 03, 2016 14:35

amidama

amidama

Hakumen
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

Imagine that this unit has to cross oceans and defeat ships. It does about 3 (4 is too high for 9, 4 is like 10 or 12) versus leviathan and takes back 6. The leviathan counter attacks from. Distance and does 6 to it, destroying it's Shields, and dealing 2 damage. On the next turn, the leviathan heals. Then he attacks again. Rinse and repeat

Even with gangup bonus, I can always bring in another leviathan to finish off the tanks. Two leviathans could do 14 damage. So... I say it needs some more defense.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 03, 2016 17:01

[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

I'd say to make smaller Shields that instantly and fully replenish in 1 or 2 turns. That'd be more useful than this to
amidama

amidama

Hakumen
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

Well the enemy infantry costs 75 more to be fair. Also, I think that the wraiths are supposed to be antiships to make up for this races lack of one.

Anyways, one thing I do want to say, with Shields, and zoc defiance, having their unique terrain bonuses might be too much for this race.

Think about it, the devs use the same mobility and terrain bonuses for every unit type (I mean aerial aquatic, etc). If they had to change this, than they'd need to write every unit a specific mobility cost per terrain, and a specific bonus. Or they'd need to make 2 new unit types. While I don't either options are too bad, adding them and shields sounds like a too much work for the devs.

Also, the terrain bonuses means that a lot of maps are going to need a lot of editing to be balanced for phasers.
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

Also, I want to say, while I was doing a review for this race, I realize that amidama is right about this races defense being exactly enough to match Shields. All credit to her for calling me out on that (although you might want to check on wraith to destroyer exchange)

One thing that stands out immediately is the fact that a lot of the units have either 4 or 7 defense. That might cause some problems or it might end up being awesome, idk.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 06, 2016 23:18

Forum Index » New Feature Request