[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Messages posted by: Michaelrn
Forum Index Profile for Michaelrn »» Messages posted by Michaelrn
What's New in the Latest Updates » Rank Reform - Part 4 » Go to message
  xavi wrote:I want to clarify certain points.

1. First, the reset of the current ladder for score above 2400 to 2400 is likely to happen soon. There is no yearly reset planned.

You mean every one with a score above 2400 will drop to 2400?
General Discussion » Next Balance Update Discussion April 2016 » Go to message
Infectors could get a reduction in its price and get a nerf in the repair rate and maybe also in the movement and/or just be able to plague if not move.
New Feature Request » DIFFERENT DEFENSE VALUES and new unit type (artillery) » Go to message
Special endurance and weakness indeed seems to be a good ideia to help the balancing. I also like the idea of the ground semi-heavy (or ground medium as it was suggested before), but I am not sure about the artillery type. I agree that it can be an additional tool to help balancing, but it seems like an weird unit type to me.
New Feature Request » Balance suggestions » Go to message
  wookieontheweb wrote:I have made a suggestion a while ago about having maps available online and with them stats about 1st vs 2nd and race vs race. I also posted something about a war fund.
If you have reliable stats I.e. more than 100 games played and you can alter the credits per turn (war fund) or change the starting credits for one player, then you could build in automatic levelling. E.g. on dead monk if you find that saps beat titans more than 60% - 40% then the system could add a war find of 10 credits per turn to any titan player when they played against saps. After a number of more plays if the wins loss ratio had not improved then increase by another 10.
If you find player 1 seems to have an unfair advantage increase player 2 initial credits.
I think this could fine tune almost any maps to leave them truly balanced. I don't think it would cure truly broken maps, those I'd expect to flip flop wildly as you changed the credits for one player or another. Also I don't think you should aim for a perfect 33% between races and 50% between start position (2 player) +/-5% is probably more than accurate enough.
It just depends on uniwar keeping track of the stats.

I like very much the ideia of the maps keeping a record of the win-loss-draw for each race combo. This could be a great tool to show how the map is balanced for each of these race combination and to help in discussions of balance updates.

About the automatic levelling idea, it is not good, in my opinion. With this the system could add more credits per turn to one side due to a normal statistical fluctuation within the standard deviation for a balanced race combo, creating unfair advantages/disadvantages, even in temporarely. And this could also make harder to implement the balance updates.
  LkASr wrote:
  Michaelrn wrote: 4 or 5 helicopter can kill a full health pinzer in 1 turn. Marines with terrain and gang up bonuses also can help with that.

I doesn't really work that way most of the time. You see, Tanks, Pinzers, and Plasmas are designed to block (or parry) attacks from enemies, don't expect them to lead a charge with them (too slow), they're simply mobile walls for your squishier units. It's essential to any player's defense.

Well, by experience it happens with some frequency. After the first helicopter attack, the others easily deals 2 or 3 damage hiting by the same side.

drumstep wrote:
  Michaelrn wrote:
4 or 5 helicopter can kill a full health pinzer in 1 turn. Marines with terrain and gang up bonuses also can help with that.

I would hope that would be the case! That's 2000-2500 credits against 450 credits.

But they receive almost no damage in return (usually the 2 or 3 first attackers receive 1 damage each). If the game builds up, is not hard for sapiens to have a good number of helicopters. And marauders also can work well for finishing pinzers.
  LkASr wrote:
  Michaelrn wrote:I know that it was asked to use high level tournament games as examples to back up opinions. I will try to do that later, but by now I'm just expressing my opinions and explaining the reasons behind them.
I also think that Khraleans needs a little help in KvS matches. Marines can easily be very cost efffective against swarmers and garudas. Helicopters are powerful and can hide behind marines after attack.

If there are Forests/mountains for marines to get + attack/defense it becomes even harder to fight them. If you try using underlings to fight them back while benefiting from the same terrain bonuses, they will just get killed by helicopters with no chance to counterattack. Your second and third cheaper options to fight them (swarmes and garudas) will be very cost ineffective to fight a lot of marines with terrains bonuses (supported by helicopters). Pinzers can't cross mountains and become too vulnerable in forests. Wyrms are expensive and have to be well protected, but you can't protect them well in areas with lots of forests/mountains because of the reasons I just said. To help solving that problem, here are some initial ideas I had:

Option 1: + ground light attack to swarmer and - 1 aerial attack to marines. It will help a bit swarmers to kill marines and help both swarmes and garudas to receive a bit less damage. And I think that it is better than giving +2 gl to swarmer because it can hurt a bit the balance in KvT.

Option2: Change the cost of infectors to 200 and downgrade its repair bonus to X2. If sapiens player starts spamming lots of marines, infectors costing 200 can be much more interesting as a counter measure than it is at 300 credits. They can deal with marines while giving you units with aerial attack. Even if the infector dies, you will not get credit disadvantage if it converted at least one mariner (the opponent loses a 100 credits unit and you gain that 100 credits unit).

Option 3: Give underlings some aerial attack (ok, I don't think it is going to happen).

Option 4: A new ground light khralean unit with aerial attack.

Maybe even a mix of the options 1 and 2 could be nice, I'm not sure yet.

buy a Pinzer, Helicopters can't outright kill them and they have +2 repairs, it's only a matter of where to position them to block incoming saps

4 or 5 helicopter can kill a full health pinzer in 1 turn. Marines with terrain and gang up bonuses also can help with that.
I know that it was asked to use high level tournament games as examples to back up opinions. I will try to do that later, but by now I'm just expressing my opinions and explaining the reasons behind them.
I also think that Khraleans needs a little help in KvS matches. Marines can easily be very cost efffective against swarmers and garudas. Helicopters are powerful and can hide behind marines after attack.

If there are Forests/mountains for marines to get + attack/defense it becomes even harder to fight them. If you try using underlings to fight them back while benefiting from the same terrain bonuses, they will just get killed by helicopters with no chance to counterattack. Your second and third cheaper options to fight them (swarmes and garudas) will be very cost ineffective to fight a lot of marines with terrains bonuses (supported by helicopters). Pinzers can't cross mountains and become too vulnerable in forests. Wyrms are expensive and have to be well protected, but you can't protect them well in areas with lots of forests/mountains because of the reasons I just said. To help solving that problem, here are some initial ideas I had:

Option 1: + ground light attack to swarmer and - 1 aerial attack to marines. It will help a bit swarmers to kill marines and help both swarmes and garudas to receive a bit less damage. And I think that it is better than giving +2 gl to swarmer because it can hurt a bit the balance in KvT.

Option2: Change the cost of infectors to 200 and downgrade its repair bonus to X2. If sapiens player starts spamming lots of marines, infectors costing 200 can be much more interesting as a counter measure than it is at 300 credits. They can deal with marines while giving you units with aerial attack. Even if the infector dies, you will not get credit disadvantage if it converted at least one mariner (the opponent loses a 100 credits unit and you gain that 100 credits unit).

Option 3: Give underlings some aerial attack (ok, I don't think it is going to happen).

Option 4: A new ground light khralean unit with aerial attack.

Maybe even a mix of the options 1 and 2 could be nice, I'm not sure yet.
Tournaments » Tournament "Exploit" » Go to message
I liked the idea.
General Discussion » 100 map tokens » Go to message
Oh, I see. Thank you
General Discussion » 100 map tokens » Go to message
I noticed that many players have 100 map tokens. It is just a coincidence and people tend to buy exactly 100 tokens or am I missing something?
General Discussion » only paid undo will work soon » Go to message
  drumstep wrote:
  Michaelrn wrote:

I agree with all that. But the problem is, in order to scout, you have to send your high vision unit ahead. Of course a sane person will not send it full speed into the unknow, but just a few steps and it might end within the range of opponents scout unit (they have the same vision, so one must be seen if it wants to see the other), and you will not be aware of that because your vision is not updated. You moved to scout and yet you have no intel of the enemy's force to help you planing your moves. At opponent's next turn, he will be able to see your scout, thus he might be able to hit it, destroying your "eyes" and leaving you blind.

That would apply to your opponent too though. If all they can see is your single scout unit, it would be quite a risk to send in two or even three units to kill it without knowing what else is there. Even using heli or speeder move after attack couldn't hide the unit as long as you have another unit with decent vision behind your scout. Marauder could potentially hide, but it would take three marauders to take down one if you only use one attack each. And anyway, I think amidama is calling for vision to be updated at the end of your turn, not the beginning of your next turn as you seem to think. This means you could see the enemy as soon as you hit end turn so they can't hide, as well as use the turn replay to see what happened in the event your scout is killed.

Long range unit could hit hard from the distance to easily kill the scout and stay in a safe position.

I know that the vision would be updated at the end of the turn and you would be able to see the surroundings briefily, but if the scout unit doesn't survive to the next round it is not of much use.
  amidama wrote:Why would you move a unit ahead if probably you would just end up getting it blind into enemy's vision?

probably because in a modern war information is a key to victory?
because ambush is an order of magnitude more effective than normal combat?
because no sane commander will send his troops on a full speed inside the enemy territory without enough intel?

I agree with all that. But the problem is, in order to scout, you have to send your high vision unit ahead. Of course a sane person will not send it full speed into the unknow, but just a few steps and it might end within the range of opponents scout unit (they have the same vision, so one must be seen if it wants to see the other), and you will not be aware of that because your vision is not updated. You moved to scout and yet you have no intel of the enemy's force to help you planing your moves. At opponent's next turn, he will be able to see your scout, thus he might be able to hit it, destroying your "eyes" and leaving you blind.
Right now you can search for Uniwar in Google Play and there you will see the advertisement "no pay-to-win".
The new player sees that and decides to download uniwar hoping to find a fun game where he doesn't have to pay to get advantages over the opponent (or to don't be in disadvantege if he doesn't pay). He plays a bit, gets excited, then goes to the Uniwar shop and discovers that he can pay to undo turns and think: What the F@#$ is that!?

Ok, I really like that UNDO will be going to work only as a in-game feature. It will be now possible to implement a way to control the usage of the UNDO (I don't know if it will ever be done, but at least it gives me that hope and I would love a system where players could choose for a limit to the UNDO). But I don't like to play a unfair game where one side gets advantage over the other because one of them invested money in the game to gain that, and the only paid UNDO seems kind of a pay-to-win feature.

About the vision update after the turn is over, I think it is not a good idea. Why would you move a unit ahead if probably you would just end up getting it blind into enemy's vision? The enemy would be seeing your unit at the beginning of his turn and he would gladly destroy it. You would lose it and would still be blind about the enemy's grounds during your next turn.
General Discussion » Red and White numbers pre-attack » Go to message
If you are asking about the numbers that appears on the attacked unit, the firt white number is its current life, the second is the damage it will receive by that attack and the red number is the damage your unit will receive by the counterattack.
General Discussion » Questions/suggestions re vision, FOW and undo » Go to message
One vote for zero would not make the unlimited undo totally useless, as they could still be able to have a limit of at least 1 undo if there was a different vote (ok, I know it becomes almost totally useless in those situations).

But I agree with you, I think that the undo button would need a price drop or even become free as it would become the only way to do it.
Forum Index Profile for Michaelrn »» Messages posted by Michaelrn