[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Messages posted by: Hachiman
Forum Index Profile for Hachiman »» Messages posted by Hachiman
General Discussion » Importance of strategic gameplay vs. base grab » Go to message
I think decisive gameplay is likely a positive for a mobile TBS game. I certainly think gameplay that allows a certain loser to "drag the game out for a long time" is not ideal when that could make a win take several days, or weeks.

I reckon more "many bases, low credits per base" is a good solution (and these are some of the more interesting maps - more please!)

New Feature Request » Getting Uniwar back into the Appstore top 10! » Go to message
The popularity of this great game seems to be waning. I really like playing it, so I'd love it to get a second wind! (and more updates

How about a free version on the app store? In the free version, maybe you could only ever play one race, and you couldn't gain in ratings.

I think this would bring many more players in, and give Uniwar a second chance to get noticed in the New releases section of the app store. Anyone who really liked the game would upgrade to the full version to try out the other races.

As it is now, it's hard to find, even within the strategy game section. This is a shame, because it is IMHO, THE BEST strategy game on a mobile device.

Anyone agree / have any other ideas?
General Discussion » Swarmer Attack Power Increase » Go to message
I demonstrated the problem as I see it in game to rolando and Kralux.

Dunno if they agree, or are going to do anything about it.
Guides & Tips » Uniwar Pop Quiz » Go to message
  kralux wrote: You can get his health go down to 1 if you place any heavy ground unit on top of an underling.
His health will go down by 1 each turn.

But if it doesn't move, it will also repair by 1 a turn, and never reduce in health overall. But with Marauders you can stand on him more than once a turn, eventually killing him.

You could do it with Speeders too, but there would have to be a unit to attack adjacent to the Underling...
  akumaextreme wrote:
There is another tactic that Khralean players are now using. It's a Swarmer\Underling Spam attack. The Swarmers would pick off the soft targets and the Underlings would take on the harder targets with the resurfacing and gang up bonus. Throw in terrain bonus and you have a high attack unit that only cost you 100. I've lost Tanks to 2-3 Underling popping up from mountains or forests.

I don't really see anything wrong with Underlings ... that's how they should be used!

However the fact that Saps don't really have a (non naval) answer to Swarmers is a real problem. It's making 1v1 games kinda boring right now...
  Anonymous wrote: hachiman, that's the same strategy used before the swarmer light attack increase, so what's changed? the game is more balanced now than it's ever been.

Perhaps not as much as I thought. I'm glad someone could finally show me otherwise .

Before I was just used to Heli's AND Marauders AND Marines all owning Swarmers by themselves, so I never really encountered this tactic. I'm still testing it out some more.

To be fair I have won A LOT of games lately with spammed Swarmers (trying to see if they could be beaten by Saps), and this is the first I've lost.

I do agree that the game is lots better balanced than before, if not perfect.

[edit]

Of course on any map with enough income to build and screen them with Swarmers, Infectors will just capture the Marines and turn them against you anyway.

Is it just me or is it getting hard to get a 1v1 game vs anything but Khrals now? That indicates an imbalance to me....

General Discussion » heli nerf - sapiens are weak to often » Go to message
  aLoN wrote:
if they will nerf the swarmer ground heavy and Ariel attack by 1 it will balance the game more on my opinion, what do you guys think..?

I thought similar until you just taught me a lesson on Dead Monk with your Marines vs my Swarmers ... Now I don't think it's such an issue anymore!
Sapiens » What to do vs Swarmer spam? » Go to message
I think the answer for Saps vs Swarmers Spam is to build lots of Marines, with Heli's (or Marauders) just as backup. aLoN is owning me with this tactic in a game at the moment!

The Swarmers have to fire at the Marines (or get killed when two step forward and gang up). But Marines are not worth much and are easy to replace. So the Heli's can attack when needed to kill a Swarmer, then retreat behind the Marines to repair and not get worn down and killed. Seems to work so far... (and is obvious in retrospect). There's a couple tricks to it but that's about it.

I invited you to a couple of games to test it ADHDeveloper...
I think the answer for Saps vs Swarmers Spam is to build lots of Marines, with either Heli's (or Marauders) as backup. aLoN is owning me with this tactic at the moment!

The Swarmers have to fire at the Marines (or get killed when two step forward and gang up) so the Heli's can attack, then retreat behind the Marines to repair and not get killed. Seems to work so far...
Khraleans » Khral vs. Saps large airial battles » Go to message
I havent played this exact situation but I have played Khral vs Saps quite a bit lately, and almost always won with Swarmers, even vs high ranked (1900+) players.

At the moment I think the answer is: Spam Swarmers, with perhaps some Garuda to finish off weakend Heli's.

Swarmers have the advantages of being able to do significant damage without being hurt in return (weakening your opponents counter attacks), to be able to make more attacks on the one target due to range, and to cost less.

The last is significant because if your opponent does not kill his targets in one turn, you have more units to screen your damaged units while they repair.

I'm not sure about how to manuever, but I'm pretty sure you'd like to attack first with your Swarmers at range, if possible. They will weaken his counter attack without taking any damage. Garuda are obviouly better in the front line if you get attacked first, especially if he doesn't gang up.

As in most cases, it is more important to kill 1 unit than damage 2. Don't attack if you will get hurt back in the attack, and you won't kill your opponent. 1 on 1 Garuda are better of being attacked first, then healing against Heli's - but it changes a bit with Gang ups (2 Heli's will kill a Garuda in a turn).

Lines are better than zig zags, because they limit your opponents ability to gang up a little.

If you can crowd your opponent to his edge of the map, it can mean you have room to retreat and heal your units, while he does not (might not apply in a big open map).

I think the advantage is with you the more things build up, because it increases the advantage of concentration of fire you can bring to bear (and the Heli's will start getting in each others way with their second moves).

Please bear in mind this is mostly informed supposition - I haven't been in your exact situation, and the air war balance has changed a bit recently.
According to the formula rolando gave out a 10 health Garuda should average 4.5 damage to a Heli, but a 10 health Heli should average 5.5 damage to a Garuda.

This is significant, since two Heli's are more likely to kill a Garuda in a single turn than vice versa.

However, it is less significant than it used to be, because I think two Garuda will often kill a Heli now anyway, due to the gang up bonus. I don't know how the random number bug affects this either, we'll have to see with v1.05.
It's an interesting idea, but I think adding range to the Heli is far too drastic a solution. It would make Heli's very powerful in a way that can't be accounted for in a numbers comparison. Just think - it'd be a flying unit with great attack stats that could damage most units without being damaged back, and a second move to boot. It would rule, and in a bad way.

If anything the Swarmers air (or ground heavy) attack should just be made to suck, so it isn't quite good against every land unit Saps have that can hurt it.
I just think that the Swarmer is a bit too good against Saps, and should be toned down a little, that's all.

But I'm still testing that out with a few different people to see what Saps can do against it, and if we're really right about that.

If there is a change, it shouldn't be too drastic.
Hey aLoN,

I agree with everything you say (except I'm definately not as good as you!). Good to have you on side.

I think they just need to make it so the Swarmer sucks vs SOMETHING the saps have, probably the Heli. You are right, it's more balanced than before, just needs a bit more tweaking....

General Discussion » My review of the damage formula and random factors » Go to message
I generally agree - a small random factor actually adds to the strategy (and means balanced maps are less likely to have a single optimum 'solution').

But lets see what it is like when it works as designed, before we decide it is the ideal system.
Forum Index Profile for Hachiman »» Messages posted by Hachiman